buzzing transformers with low voltage lighting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had 4 low voltage downlights put in the living room and found that the buzzing emitted from the transformers is a bit too much for me and my good lady. There is no ceiling up at the minute(pulled down as not flat and so decided on downlighters to go in before re boarding) so the buzzing is going to be louder, but even with a ceiling put up I'm sure the noise will still be noticable and I dont want to risk it and find that I'll have to pull another ceiling down.
Is my solution
1) to get new transformers and hope they dont buzz as much.
2) to scrap the transformers altogether and fit GU10 mains lampholders with the lights (as I dont want to fork out for whole new lights again.)

I will obviously be switching back to a mains dimmer if solution 2 is opted for.

Any advice is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You could ditch the downlights, and fit an attractive centerlight

GU10's will stop the buzzing in the ceiling, but I think you will be disapointed with the level of illumination.

If they are on a dimmer, this will still buzz regardless of the type of light you have.

In my experience, if you have a loud buzzing from the trannies, your dimmer is not compatible... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back