By Law I must have new rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a call from British Gas about my application to have a Heat Pump installed. I told him that I was happy with my existing Rads., but he said I must have bigger Rads. BY LAW. I find this hard to believe. He then quoted me over £6000 on top of Goverment Grant, for a small semi detached Bungalow. This made me wonder what is the size of the house that they are advertising that can be converted to Heat Pumps for under £3000.

Sponsored Links
That's BG for you. Ask them what law they are referring to.

I intend to write to them what law and also ask for a description of the house they are advertising that can be fitted out for under £3000.....

Your heat pump radiators will not get as hot as gas central heating. The radiators do need to be bigger.

Sponsored Links
I pointed out to him that we only use one Rad., our house is warm. I have measured the temperature of the water in the Rad ...50*, which I believe is the same temperature from a Heat Pump.

The prices quoted for heat pumps are often for the heat pump only. Radiators will also need to be replaced as well as the pipes feeding the radiator in some cases.

Why did you contact BG for a Heat Pump in the first place? It's kinda expected of BG that they upsell these days.

They may mean about the new standards where new installs are to be designed to run at cooler temps, that will usually mean that larger rads are needed to ensure correct outputs for a given property.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, I understand that most houses will need new Rads. We live in Penzance where winter Temps. seldom fall below freezing. In their advert for installations, they state "Installations start from £2999.-. They also guarantee the heating will be equivalent to a gas boiler ....or money back........

"Our engineers will only install a heat pump if we’re confident it’ll heat your home as well as a traditional boiler.
We’ll design your new heating system to reach the right temperature for your home. And if it doesn’t, we’ll come to put things right – or give you your money back.".......Nothing about the Law there......

They are hardly going to give a money back guarantee without the rads being correct sizes. The fact that you only use 1 is no relevant, their design must be to MCS standards

He said" Must have larger Rads. by LAW.......no mention of their guarantee.....

Well the installation needs to comply with building regs.

The hp design will be on whole house room by room calculations. With ashp you need to heat the whole house at a low temperature, not room by room on/off control.

Ideally, in order to get maximum heat pump benefit one would want to. oversize by a factor of 2.5 or even 3!!

I have applied to EDF, OVO, Good Energy, E.on...........none has mentioned that I MUS have bigger Rads by Law, in fact one of them quoted me for retaining existing rads.........
I can understand with the Guarantee...but this was not mentioned....

They quoted me over £11000 for Heat Pump, Hot water cylinder & 5 Rads....for a 2 bed bungalow in Penzance where we seldom get 0* in Winter.
What sort of house can they install all this for £2999.- +5000 grant as advertised? Wendy?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back