By Law I must have new rads

One of the problems/challenges with using lower temperatures with rads is that even though 35/36% rad output might be perfectly suitable with flow/return/room temps of 45C/40C/20C is that if you switch off the heating for say 9 hours at night then it will take forever to get the room temperatures back up after heating back on in the morning, gas/oil fired systems can/will run the rads at ~ 100% output for say 1.5/2 hrs to get the room temperatures up and then via TRVs or whatever reduce the outputs back down. Obviously increasing the rad sizes by a factor of 2.5ish will largely deal with this but probably still won't get the very rapid heat up time as the convection/air circulation off the rads is much slower at the low temperatures.

Hence setback.

Sponsored Links
Understood, will go with the oversized rads.....he's charging £462 to drain the System.......6 small Rads.......if we can get a reduction on that I will go for it. Thats £3800 less than Original price.........less the Power Flush.....

Understood, will go with the oversized rads.....he's charging £462 to drain the System.......6 small Rads.......if we can get a reduction on that I will go for it. Thats £3800 less than Original price.........less the Power Flush.....
Again, the worst thing you can do is go with BG, more than likely they will employ a contractor to do the work any way, @dilalio showed you have acredited independents near you, get a price from them

Thanks . I missed that, have now emailed all three......will hang fire with BG......

Sponsored Links
Thanks . I missed that, have now emailed all three......will hang fire with BG......

Seriously mate... you need to recognise BG's selling tactics which, as mentioned above - is akin to 80's double glazing salesmen.

They start off with a ridiculous price and then start dropping it, and all you're thinking is how much money they're "knocking off"!

Don't be fooled by it.

When you contact a Heat Geek, ask them about Heat Geek Assured. The company have now said this has to be requested through the installer as they've had too much take up on it to be able to continue to do it as they were. See the second link I posted.

The person quoting you will be part of the install team, or should be, that's how it's been formed to work.

I wasn't expecting that from BG........ thought they would be straight......silly me.....

Why do so many ppl believe BG are holier-than-thou?
It amazes me!
Personally I think it is ridiculous that they are allowd to use that same name, it implies they are something to do with the Government, they are simply a trading company, exactly the same as everyone else, but some still think they are not, their tactics especially by their sales lot are close to criminal, I would never recommend them for any kind of service

My Father bought shares in BG when they were floated all those years ago, and for many years wouldn't have anything said against them. So when the time came for a new Boiler, naturally he gave BG the work.

They insisted on putting the new boiler in the Downstairs WC, above the cistern, where it is very easy to bang your head on it..... Sold him a bigger HW cylinder, (3 bed house, 1 bathroom and 2 of them there), the original 900x450mm was upsized to a 1050x450mm. Only issue was, the installer couldnt be bothered to adjust the pipework properly, so it now leaves the top of the cylinder, goes across a bit before dropping to meet the original section, 150mm lower... Drain offs were obviously in short supply too as he didn't fit one to the cylinder.

For this he paid a premium price at the time! Sadly premium price and BG doesn't guarantee anything, certainly not a quality job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back