Bypass pir on outdoor lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster.

The pir on an outdoor lantern is playing up.

I'm happy to bypass the pir instead of replacing the whole fitting.

Obviously want to make sure i get the wiring right.

Is any able to advise on how to rewire the wiring in the following photo?

Thanks.

Ash

Attachments

• PXL_20201108_103510577.jpg
    PXL_20201108_103510577.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
Is there a switch of some description indoors? Looks a bit odd.

The CPC/ Earth wire at top needs to have some sleeving

Hi, yes there is a switch indoors which i will then use to turn on/off instead of the pir.

Show pics of the wiring at the PIR.
If you intend to leave the PIR in place ,then the connections can be made at the PIR .
Otherwise you will need some testing equipment like a multimeter to identify whats what in the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
The PIR wires are the blue, pink, brown from the sleeving in the hole just below the terminal strip.

From the bottom of the terminal strip remove the blue and brown wires that go with the pink wire.
Cut the brown wire next to where it joins to the pink one, and put that brown into the right side terminal where the other brown was.

The set of blue/pink/brown wires are not required and ideally should be removed - you will have to take the light off the wall to do that - or at the very least cut off wo they can't contact any other wires or terminals.

You beat me to it Flameport:
upload_2020-11-8_12-26-0.png

Is this in the UK as that black, white and brown cable is an unusual combination.

I'll almost garuantee the brown is the old permanent live, for a previous fitting, if this light can currently be switched on/off from indoors.

So the white cable is the switched live? Sorry to bump old thread.. learning about electrics and did the think it would bump it up. New to this forum sorry.

White was originally grey, and is the switched line in this example.
Black neutral.
Brown not used, but probably permanent line.

Other installations may use different colours, it's fairly common to find black as switched line and the grey as neutral.

You cannot ever assume what a wire is for just based on the colour of the insulation.

Wire = single conductor
Cable = 2 or more wires combined into a single outer sleeve.

Thanks for the detailed response. I was hoping you could look at my thread and possibly help me there, I'll post picture of inside connection tomorrow as its too dark

As a note, my wife just got me a smart bulb I think from screwfix, bulb was TCP make, and not expensive, and after some struggle getting it to link to the program, (likely due to using 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz) I find it has the option to switch on at dusk and off at dawn with a dead period you can set.

I intended to switch on outside lights manually from my phone when required, but that option does seem to be a good idea instead of using a PIR which even trees in the wind could set off, and they would switch off at most inopportune moment.

Your wiring seems to have been covered by the others, I could not be sure from picture, so will not comment on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back