All in 1 PIR lanterns unreliable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wonder if anyone has any experience to offer...

Will be replacing some American PIR lanterns shortly for a client. Previously, when I asked my local electrical supplier for pir lanterns he said he didn't stock them because he found they failed regularly and came back, though he was happy to order them if I really wanted them.

He instead recommended a separate PIR and lantern.

Anyone else of this opinion? Or is it just that cheap combined units tend to have naff PIR sensors installed? Its obviously less work to fit an all in one, especially since it will be replacing existing similar units.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
pcboffinuk said:
...Will be replacing some American PIR lanterns shortly for a client...

Do I detect a clue here?

JohnD said:
Do I detect a clue here?

...to why I am replacing these ones, probably! (they were apparently purchased from Costco and have an alarming tendency to fill with water).

However, my supplier poo-pooed the all in one units last year when I was looking to replace a B&Q twin PIR38 spotlight at my mother's house, so the query was unrelated.

I'd welcome any suggestions on makes to look at / avoid.

Gavin

Basically it tends to be that the lanterns are cheap and therefore the components are chaep and nasty.

If you could find a more expensive fitting then chances are it will have a better quality PIR, but I personally thing you will be better off with a decent stand alone PIR, and cheap lights, as there really is very little to go wrong with the actual lantern itself.

Personally I like clipsal infrascan PIRs, and steinel are good quality too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I guessed it may simply be a cost issue.

I'll take note of those makes, but the client always knows best :LOL: so I suspect I will end up going with all in ones and warn him they may not last...

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back