Rain causing PIR false triggers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys I'm having mainly rain problems triggering this combined Screwfix supplied lamp and PIR unit http://tinyurl.com/naa6gm5 This unit is fitted under the eves of a building and faces south. I have the PIR masked down to a limited area and have tried to make it less sensitive to being triggered by heavy rain by putting several layers of clear tape across the sensor.

I want to find a cheap solution to this problem and wonder if anyone can offer some guidance. BTW I have a second unit in a more sheltered position at the rear of the building which is far less prone to being set off by rain.

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Take it back. They are made to work outdoors in the rain.

Sponsored Links
Buy cheap buy twice....

Perhaps but I was rather hoping that someone would have been able to suggest a method of cutting down it's sensitivity to make it more usable!

I would be interested in what QH floodlight with PIR you would suggest I invest in if I cannot find a remedy.

Cheers

Richard

Wouldn't go near one ! GJD system for me ! The only 240 pir I would fit is a Clipsal infra scan,dead ugly but top detector!

Is it possible to glue a thin piece of plastic or similar on the top of the pir to form a 'roof' to keep rain off. It wouldn't cover the lens, so not affect the function, but it would extend a short distance over the top to keep it dry. Also, taping over the sensor may have worsened the problem by 'defocussing' the fresnel lens, so perhaps remove it.
This may not completely solve the problem but it might minimise it.

Are you quite sure it is rain? Most common problems are something like a spider in the sensor unit or a plant that has grown and movement now gets picked up during windy conditions like a rain storm. Unless the rain is almost horizontal I am suprised the sensor picks it up at all as they are most sensitive to movement across the field of view.

Are you quite sure it is rain? Most common problems are something like a spider in the sensor unit or a plant that has grown and movement now gets picked up during windy conditions like a rain storm. Unless the rain is almost horizontal I am suprised the sensor picks it up at all as they are most sensitive to movement across the field of view.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Putting tape over the sensor has certainly had the effect of reducing it's sensitivity but I suspect that I may have found the culprit.

Recently I've been parking my car almost under the PIR and I understand now that this is not advisable. Certainly since parking away from under the PIR I have not been aware of the frequent on/offs however it has not been raining for a couple of nights!!

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not think spiders are the cause and there is nothing growing in the vicinity of the PIR. I've also restricted the view of the PIR to a small area that does not include anything that can move. It basically looks down at the gravel yard.

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back