Bypassing a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be ok (read: safe) to bypass a light switch by simply joining the live & switched-live wires behind a switch?

Edit: Removed irrelevant information

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would be better to replace the switch with an unswitched f.c.u with a 3amp fuse in it.

I should have said.. it's currently part of a 2-gang switch, so I was considering just replacing it with a 1-gang switch and bypassing the then non-existent switch by joining the wires. I'm not averse to putting an in-line fuse in the pattress box between the two wires, though..?

Sponsored Links
Thanks eddieed - a good idea, which I'll keep in mind, but it limits the choice of switch designs one can use.

I'm more inclined towards the fuse idea.. is that feasible? An in-line fuse holder in the pattress behind the switch?

If you want to fit a fuse use a 2 gang grid plate and frame with a fuse module and a light switch module. If you put the fuse behind, it won't be easily accessible, and if you disappear no one will know it's there.

If you decide to change it back to as it was before, at some time in the future, you need only swap the fuse module with another switch module.

It would be better to replace the switch with an unswitched f.c.u with a 3amp fuse in it.

Rubbish. FCUs are not used or required on lighting circuits.

A bit of sellotape on the switch is all that is required, apart from a good talking to the wife and kids.

The key switch for the ability to switch off if required would be nice. But nothing wrong safety-wise with just connecting the wires together - Either both wires into the same terminal of the second switch so that that switch then does nothing, or connect together and replace with a single-gang switch.

The key switch for the ability to switch off if required would be nice. But nothing wrong safety-wise with just connecting the wires together - Either both wires into the same terminal of the second switch so that that switch then does nothing, or connect together and replace with a single-gang switch.
Thanks - this is what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't bypassing a safety feature of the switch by doing this.

Yes, tape over the switch would work, but would like totally naff, especially as it's just inside the front door.

That said, thanks everyone for your replies :)

The switch is constantly getting switched off by the wife/kids which makes it impossible to switch back on wirelessly or via the timed event.
Then get them to stop doing that. Ask them why they do it, ask them what they think is good about doing it, and what they think they are achieving.

Would it be ok (read: safe) to bypass (at least, temporarily) a light switch by simply joining the live & switched-live wires behind the switch, so the light can't be switched off?
Yes, but what will happen during this temporary regime to break the habit of W/K turning the switch off so that when the temporary period ends you aren't back to square one?

Please explain why, and show with a diagram where the fuse would be.
I was suggesting what I think would enable the op to achieve his goal & at the same time keep a means of easily accessible safe isolation for maintenance of the outside light. The fuse would replace the switch. There are other options, this was mine. Is there a problem with doing that way?

Last edited:
Please explain why, and show with a diagram where the fuse would be.
I was suggesting what I think would enable the op to achieve his goal & at the same time keep a means of easily accessible safe isolation for maintenance of the outside light. The fuse would replace the switch. There are other options, this was mine. Is there a problem with doing that way?

Yes. FCUs are not used or needed on lighting circuits, as they are adequately fused. As BAS says where is the diagram? A switch has 2 connections, line and switched live. FCUs are 2 pole devices, L and N in and L and N out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back