C & M Britony 80. Leaking Air Seperator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the above problem. I discovered it when I noticed that the central heating system was loosing pressure and needed topping up almost every week. Then, one day I noticed that the pile of towels that we keep under the boiler were soaking wet.

I have taken the case off the boiler and noticed that the water is leaking from the Air seperator (identified from the manual). There is a large amount of what appears to be limescale built up around the seperator.

My question is that would removing the Air seperator and cleaning all of the limescale off cure the problem or would it be best to purchase a new one. Also, I assume that if I remove the seperator then water is going to go everywhere... How do I drain out the water so that the seperator can be removed?

Thanks.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Buy a new air vent as they can't be cleaned. Expect the new one to leak at some stage in the future :cry:

See the manual for the drain-off posistion.

No professional would try to clean one!

On the other hand, as this is a long weekend then if you have nothing better to do you could drain the boiler, perhaps after isolating it from your system and remove the AAV and try to clean it in dilute or mild acid but only IF you are safe to work with acids and wear eye protection etc.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yellow pages under central heating/plumbers merchants but no one open till Tuesday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back