C16 joists - Treated or Untreated?

I

iDIY

Hi guys,

I am at the point of fitting floor joists but as it’s a self build and given the time of year they will get wet several times before the roof goes on.

Can I and should I fit pressure treated timber rather than untreated?

Sponsored Links
many merchants only stock treated and there is almost no price difference.

get treated (y)

Sponsored Links
agree with above posts, but one point is is it ground floor or over a heated space? or upstairs ceiling joists? you're supposed to use treated anyway for anything over unheated space or roof/ceiling under unheated space.

agree with above posts, but one point is is it ground floor or over a heated space? or upstairs ceiling joists? you're supposed to use treated anyway for anything over unheated space or roof/ceiling under unheated space.
Iirc, the guidance is to use treated where timber may be susceptible to damp and where their replacement would be impractical.

And in the home counties where beetle attack is prevalent, regardless of damp.

Iirc, the guidance is to use treated where timber may be susceptible to damp and where their replacement would be impractical..
Thanks woody, although once people raise the patios over the air bricks and the roof starts leaking they'll be damp I'm sure!

To be fair, if you raise a timber off the ground out of the direct rain fall, it'll dry out and then never really get damp enough to rot in the long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back