Cable above ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a suspended ceiling (using timber joists @ 400mm with insulation in between). There are various options for the cable routing including clipping, but is it acceptable to just let the cable lie perpendicular to the joists/insulation just resting there with only the support of the insulation/joist.

Sponsored Links
I'd use cable tray over the joists, but that's probably not de rigeur.

Do any of these cables have to go down through the insulation to pass through the ceiling, or supply lights?

I'd use cable tray over the joists, but that's probably not de rigeur.

Do any of these cables have to go down through the insulation to pass through the ceiling, or supply lights?

Thanks - cables would need to feed lights, switches and sockets ultimately. I suppose I am asking about this because last time I clipped everything to the joists but keeping them free would enable future people to remove them without taking down the ceiling at a later date if required. Do you clip the cables to the tray?

Cables routed within ceiling voids should be installed in a manner that they will not be liable to be damaged, leaving cables unsecured is not best practised.

Sponsored Links
Cables routed within ceiling voids should be installed in a manner that they will not be liable to be damaged, leaving cables unsecured is not best practised.

That's one of the things I don't like about domestic rewires. Cables just resting on ceilings since it's not practicle to lift the entire floor to nicely clip the cable along its entire length.

That's one of the things I don't like about domestic rewires. Cables just resting on ceilings since it's not practicle to lift the entire floor to nicely clip the cable along its entire length.
Nor me and when other services also require access and use of the void, unclipped cables often get snagged or an excessive stress brought upon them.
Unfortunately on rewires it is very difficult to secure safely the whole route, but when access is available with reference to the OP, they are best clipped, lazy not to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back