cable and mcb for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,
I have a modern central heating system, protected at a FCU with a 3 amp fuse, this in turn is supplied from the CU on its own mcb radial circuit,.....but the mcb is 20 amp and cable is 2.5 T&E, there are no problems, but should it be a 6amp mcb with 1 or 1.5 T&E ?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume that the radial circuit supplies more than one heater?
There is no problem with 2.5mm T&E on a 20A MCB. As 2.5T&Emm can carry a maximum of 27A.
If your heaters only require 3A independent supply on full load( which seems low) and you have 5 heaters on at the same time, you will require a minimum of a 18A supply.
So the question would be how many heaters have you?
But it sounds like its a FCU spur to a combi gas boiler, which is normal, there is likely to be sockets also on this circuit that require a higher current.

The purpose of the MCB/fuse is to protect the cable.
Consequently the size of the MCB should always be less than the current carrying capacity of the cable.
When clipped direct 2.5mm2 T&E has a ccc of 27Amps - so the 20Amp MCB is fine.
The FCU also acts in the same way. I would expect that the cable from the FCU to the boiler is 1mm2 T&E or something similar which has a ccc of around 13Amps. So again the criteria outlined above is satisfied and therefore it is okay.
Assuming you have gas central heating leave it alone - you shouldn't really be looking to change MCB's yourself because it can be very dangerous.

The MCB is selected to protect the cable to the FCU, and a 20 Amp MCB is usually appropriate for a 2.5mm spur, so there's nothing wrong with your present arrangement.

As you say, a lower rated MCB would be appropriate for a smaller cable, but there's nothing to gain from changing anything.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all,
there are no spurs, no extra heaters, no sockets, it is a straight supply to the fcu from the cu.
From the fcu, the load side is 1.5 flex to a junction box which supplies the boiler,pump, 2 motorised valves etc.
The boiler manufacturers handbook say a 3amp fuse for this fcu, which it is.
I just thought for a 3 amp maximum load a 6 or less mcb with 1/1.5 cable would be ample.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back