Cable buried in the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regulation 522-06-03 just talks about cables, ducts or conduits being a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonably foreseeable disturbance in the ground

As a general rule I have always done the following:

Lay it in a trench at least 450mm deep under a path or driveway, or 750mm deep below unpaved areas that may be dug up at some point. Run electrical route marker tape above the cable at a depth of about 150mm as an extra precaution.

Is there a regulation with these depths mentioned?

Sponsored Links
Nope there is no specified depths.

It just depends on how likely the cable is to be disturbed.

I have done one on a campsite buried at 2.5m due to marquees being regularly erected with long steel stakes

I'm sure I have called Niceic on this before and they mentioned the 450mm depth, I guess this is rule of thumb?

Sponsored Links
DNO want 450mm for LV and 600 for HV. This is my DNO, it is likely to differ.

We do campsites, and always go 600mm as a general rule in tented/awning areas.

You are meant to avoid the pitches where possible though!

*edit* Just glanced at the 17th - 708.521.1.1 - 0.6m minimum, unless provided with additional protection - which I recall from a seminar would be something like scaffold tube, concrete tiles, poured concrete. This applies to caravan parks only.

Did quite a bit of civil works management in the 90's

BT would spec 600mm to the top of u/g duct, with fine sand as a base, heavy sand as the duct filler, capping stone, warning tape and then back fill.

Kept to that spec ever since.

There was a case for shallow depth if you were 95% certain the field would be uncultivated or the ground was not used as a hard standing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back