Cable confusion in France

It trips after warming up, about 3/4 mins.

It could be something else, but that's a classic symptom of a bad heating element, the earth fault to the metal shell which contains the element developing only as it gets hot. I'd try a replacement grill element.
Paul, nice one. I may not need to murder the sparky after all. I will order a new element today.
Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
my interrupteur will trip quite readily when there is too much load. you have to look at what else is on at the same time, e.g. water heater, other heaters, kettle etc. It's all part of the fun of living in France with (for me) a 3KW supply option. how lucky we are in the UK!

Sponsored Links
Long story, my electrician proved it was not an earth fault or element problem, he claims his wiring is good, but refuses to to meter test the oven as he says its too fragile. I am not sure what to believe
Can you take a picture of your CU and post it here - showing which switch it is that trips.

If it is the french equivalent of the RCD (interrupteur differentiel) then it suggests earth leakage. If it is an individual curcuit breaker then it suggests overload.

Recently had my house re-wired. The spark has installed my oven and induction hob off one 6mm cable, the oven draws 3500w and the hob 7200.When i use the grilling function, it automatically trips out.
This is a total current draw of around 46.5A @230v. Is everything switched on when you have the tripping problems?

Long story, my electrician proved it was not an earth fault or element problem, he claims his wiring is good, but refuses to to meter test the oven as he says its too fragile. I am not sure what to believe
Can you take a picture of your CU and post it here - showing which switch it is that trips.

If it is the french equivalent of the RCD (interrupteur differentiel) then it suggests earth leakage. If it is an individual curcuit breaker then it suggests overload.

Recently had my house re-wired. The spark has installed my oven and induction hob off one 6mm cable, the oven draws 3500w and the hob 7200.When i use the grilling function, it automatically trips out.
This is a total current draw of around 46.5A @230v. Is everything switched on when you have the tripping problems?

Hi Bongos

It is definitley the inter diff which is tripping out. The inter diff is on the left of the box, is 40a and also has a test function button. It will trip all own its own, i.e, just when running the grill
Thanks

It is definitley the inter diff which is tripping out. The inter diff is on the left of the box, is 40a and also has a test function button. It will trip all own its own, i.e, just when running the grill
Then it will most likely be a fault with the grill element. Either L/E or N/E leakage. I'm not sure why the spark can't insulation resistance test the unit though as it's "too fragile". :confused:

If you can get a new element then try replace and see if it solves your problem.

"Too fragile" to test the grill element? Sorry, that makes no sense. Given the symptoms, the first thing I'd be doing is disconnecting the element and putting my insulation tester on it.

Apart from your attempt to potentially draw 10,7kW on a 6mm² cable (not advised......) your devices should not be sharing the same circuit under French regulations. The induction hob should be on it's own 32A, 6mm² circuit (via a Type A ID/RCD) & the oven on its own 16a/20A, 2,5mm² circuit (via a Type AC or A ID/RCD).

A proper electrician would not have made the two appliances share the same supply.

Sponsored Links
Back