Cable doesn't reach socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,
Converting a single flush socket (on the ring) to surface in a dual pattress to spur off to an FCU next to it. The cores now don't reach the terminals, what is the best way to join a new short length? The cable is 2.5mm twin and earth.

Regards[/url]

Sponsored Links
WAGOs are a genius invention. I use them all the time now.

Would you be able to use a choc block as due to having screws I thought you would need access too it.? Im an average joe DIYer so just asking.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If horizontal, surely the wires will reach the socket on one side and the FCU on the other and you can put a new short cable between the two.
You don't need a spur.

If vertical they will reach one or the other.

If horizontal, surely the wires will reach the socket on one side and the FCU on the other and you can put a new short cable between the two.
As I understood what the OP said, I think the 'reaching' problem arises because the existing socket is flush mounted, whereas he proposes his new pair of accessories to be surface mounted.

Kind Regards, John

As I understood what the OP said, I think the 'reaching' problem arises because the existing socket is flush mounted, whereas he proposes his new pair of accessories to be surface mounted.
I realised that but I find it difficult to envisage a situation where the extra inch would make it impossible to reconnect.

If the wires are that short then don't fit a surface mounted box.

I realised that but I find it difficult to envisage a situation where the extra inch would make it impossible to reconnect.
Well, it only requires that the conductors are cut short, and that no slack is available! We had a post about a very similar issue quite recently, so it does happen!
If the wires are that short then don't fit a surface mounted box.
Quite so. Indeed, if one cares about aesthetics, don't fit a surface mounted box, even if the wires are not too short for a surface box :)

Kind Regards, John

Am I the only one who doesn't think that wagos are all that?

They seem ok, but I managed for years without them, and I'm sure I could continue to manage quite happily without them too.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that wagos are all that? They seem ok, but I managed for years without them, and I'm sure I could continue to manage quite happily without them too.
As you say, we could obviously manage happily without them, just as we did in the past. FWIW, speaking personally, the situations in which I'm most tempted/inclined to use them is when their use avoids having to have multiple solid conductors in a single screwed terminal (e.g. in a connector block).

Kind Regards, John

I know I'm being old fashioned, but I like all my conductors under one screw that I can tighten until I know I've got a good connection :oops:

I know I'm being old fashioned, but I like all my conductors under one screw that I can tighten until I know I've got a good connection :oops:
Yes, there's that view, too. However, I've been a little shocked on a few occasions when, having thought I'd achieved that with several solid conductors in a terminal, one of them (which presumably 'slipped up the side of the screw') just 'slides out' in front of my eyes! The same issue doesn't seem to arise with equally old-fashioned stranded conductors :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back