cable for smoke alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi want to run wiring for eventual interconnected smoke alarms (my building regs say have to go to mains) so I can plasterboard wall. Got 6243Y 1.0mm 3 core + e for this but need a longer length. The 3 core i got (too short) has red, black, etc cores - is this different from the 1.0mm 3 core + e with blue, red, yell cores or can I use that ?

Am running a 3 core cable from where CU will be, to location of 1 st smoke alarm (the original 3 core (black/red/etc cable) and from there along to location of 2 nd smoke alarm ( 3 core blue yell red cable) - is that right?

Sorry if this seems obvious I didn't realise you got 3 core +e in diff colours

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
dont get you with colours

3core was red yellow and blue, now brown black and grey?

you need a 3core between lights for a signal line. you can use 3core to CU if you want, but you can get away with twin

oops your right - it is brown/black/grey!
So guess I was sold both the new cable and the old cable at the same time.

So 1.0mm T+E from Cu to 1st alarm and 3 core +E between alarms.

Cheers

Will the elec be happy to get away with twin from CU or will he prefer 3 core?

Sponsored Links
Perth said:
Will the elec be happy to get away with twin from CU or will he prefer 3 core?

you only need live neutral and earth to first alarm. so there wont be a problem (and if anything, 1 less core to deal with)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back