Cable in Conduit and Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Going to replace an existing garden supply from the consumer box which has been switched off and made safe, the cable previously used is a 4mm standard PVC which was run down the garden to a garage 20m away. The garage is old and needs to be torn down at a future date so I don't currently need a supply there, yet.

I will be laying a new patio soon and buying 63mm O/D conduit to lay under the patio to have a supply 5m (total run 13m from consumer unit) from house attached to a new garden wall, there will just be a few lights running off this supply as I have another external socket I use to power the lawnmower and strimmer.

Planning on using 6mm SWA which hopefully provides the option to extend the cable from a junction box fitted to the new garden wall with a 2nd run all the way to the garage in future for a small workshop and possibly solar.

I will have an electrician do the work obviously and just looking at options now before engaging services, if the supply had to be exclusive for the garage I could disconnect the lights in the future if necessary. Are there rules for extending cables as junction boxes will increase the voltage drop slightly?

Thanks,
Ant

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_131426.jpg
    IMG_20230513_131426.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
You need to talk to your electrician now and get him/her involved in the design phase.
If your 'solar' plans involve feeding in to the grid then I don't think you'll be able to use that load cable as a back conductor.
How deep are you planning on burying this conduit and what covers it where it emerges from under the patio?
A properly made off joint can be assumed to have zero impedance so can be ignored for volt drop purposes. It would be a foolish design to specify a cable that only just met the criteria on a setup like this (where the cable cost is an insignificant fraction of the overall job cost).

Sponsored Links
Back