Conduit for armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're currently having our garden dug up / re-flagged and I'm taking this opporunity to bury, under the new flags, the 4mm core SWA that goes from the isolator to our hot tub.

Mrs has suggested I "put it in a pipe in case it breaks at some point and we need to replace it, I'm not having you dig my flags up". The reasoning seems sound, but I think I'm really going to struggle pulling it / any future replacement cable through due to the location of it (tight behind a drain at one end / underside of the tub base the other & includes a bend)

The other option I suppose is to get some decent conduit, and replace the armoured cable with standard cable... but then I've got the issue of making the connection to the isolator box / the couple of inches where it's exposed to the elements both look presentable and stand the test of time.

Just looking for some thoughts / something to go back to the Mrs with, as I can see an "I told you so" and either re-laid flags or cable running across the top of them in my future

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - while I'm there I think it might be prudent to upgrade the cable to 10mm SWA in case of future upgrade - will 50/75mm conduit still be wide enough to take it / feed through a replacement in future?

Thanks guys - while I'm there I think it might be prudent to upgrade the cable to 10mm SWA in case of future upgrade - will 50/75mm conduit still be wide enough to take it / feed through a replacement in future?
If you buy it, it comes with a rubbish cord through it, best to get some blue rope and pull that through first, ensure to tie the ends though, as it can tend to spring back in and you lose it.

Its hard or unlikely to feed a cable through after, unless you do large sweep bends, thats why you leave a rope in it even after your old cables back in, for future use.
Sometimes if the bends are big you can push drain rods through, but pushing an swa it can just concertina inside

A good vacuum cleaner will suck a ball of cotton wool attached to light weight cord ( sewing thread or fishing line ) through a long duct.

But if there is any chance of there being water in the duct then use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner and not the wife's best cleaner. I have never been forgiven for suggesting the method to a friend, it worked ( about 40 yards ) but damaged the vacuum cleaner.

If it is a long duct then use braided cord if possible. If you use twisted cord then fit a swivel link between the cord and the cable(s). Under tension from being pulled twisted cord will try to untwist and without a swivel link the cable(s) will be twisted.

A good vacuum cleaner will suck a ball of cotton wool attached to light weight cord ( sewing thread or fishing line ) through a long duct.

But if there is any chance of there being water in the duct then use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner and not the wife's best cleaner. I have never been forgiven for suggesting the method to a friend, it worked ( about 40 yards ) but damaged the vacuum cleaner.

If it is a long duct then use braided cord if possible. If you use twisted cord then fit a swivel link between the cord and the cable(s). Under tension from being pulled twisted cord will try to untwist and without a swivel link the cable(s) will be twisted.
I find the ball isn't a requirement, otherwise perfect.
I learn't a big lesson early on when pulling in several cables in one go and ended up with a horrible twisted up mess.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the replies - very interesting. Sounds like a good plan after all

Think I'm struggling to make this work in times of cost/efficiency, as I can't seem to buy the ducting anywhere at less than 50m length, and the run I need is about 4 metres!

Cheers

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the replies - very interesting. Sounds like a good plan after all

Think I'm struggling to make this work in times of cost/efficiency, as I can't seem to buy the ducting anywhere at less than 50m length, and the run I need is about 4 metres!

Cheers
In that case look at 110mm drain pipe and fittings, maybe even 55mm waste pipe but sweeping bends are much tighter.

Is there any Virgin media, or others, work going on in your area? They are always dumping short lengths like that.

as I can't seem to buy the ducting anywhere at less than 50m length

You can get rigid ducting in 6m lengths. Might pay a bit for delivery if you don't have a local supplier.

Don't use drainage for ducting, get the proper stuff or don't bother with ducting at all.

What’s wrong with using drain pipe?

Because you could have some poor plumber looking for a drainage line in many years to come not realising what is actually in it.

I've seen blue MDPE water pipe used as cable ducting. Not funny when you try to cut a tee into it for an outside tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back