Conduit for armoured cable

You don't seem to have Googled anything like hard enough :) (click here for the first of many hits} ...

Ah you got me, although I could easily identity that is plainly not soil pipe if I came across it. You are a better googler than me but your links are rubbish. Takes me to the same picture you posted.

What about my oft asked question? Is it not simpler, and ultimately better, more professional, to use electrical cable ducting for electrical cable and soil pipe for waste water?

Sponsored Links
I hope you are playing Devil's Advocate here but I would think a plumber who considered an that an underground black drainage/soil/waste waste pipe actually contained a live cable would be incompetent.
No, I'm not being Devil's Advocate - as I keep saying, someone who finds a section of underground black 'pipe' should, in my opinion, and in view of the 'colour conventions', at least consider the possibility that it contains electrical cables.
What about a pipe chase in the corner of a property that had a vertical 110mm black pipe within it and you can't see the top or bottom of it. It is plainly a soil/waste pipe or a vent because it is 110mm black soil pipe and "that's what it does". The last thing going through my mind is that there might be a live cable in it.
I have been talking specifically about underground cables.

However, I think we've done this to death, and I have other current ('more important') calls on my time!

As a general concept, 'if all things are equal' then I agree with your view that it is best use something which is designed for, and sold as being for, a specific purpose.

However, things are often not all that 'equal'. I don't know about you, but, in all sorts of contexts, I frequently 'adapt' things for purposes other than 'for what they were sold'. This may be because the thing I 'adapt' is something I already have, because it is easier to obtain or, perhaps most commonly, because it is cheaper (sometimes dramatically so) and, provided that I am satisfied that, when 'adapted', it's satisfactory for the purpose, then I'm happy with that.

Kind Regards, John

Wrap the pipe in the tape you put over cables when buying them?

I frequently 'adapt' things for purposes other than 'for what they were sold'. This may be because the thing I 'adapt' is something I already have, because it is easier to obtain or, perhaps most commonly, because it is cheaper (sometimes dramatically so) and, provided that I am satisfied that, when 'adapted', it's satisfactory for the purpose, then I'm happy with that.

I do really agree with all of that but in the OP's case there is only one choice. Buy the correct ducting or buy the incorrect ducting and adapt it. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

Sponsored Links
Ah you got me, although I could easily identity that is plainly not soil pipe if I came across it. You are a better googler than me but your links are rubbish. Takes me to the same picture you posted.
That was my intention - as I said, it linked to the first of the many hits I got, which contained the pic which I posted.

As a matter of interest, if the hole you'd dug didn't show the end of a section of pipe, and if it had been in the ground for a long time (undoubtedly affecting it's appearance), how would you "easily identity that is plainly not soil pipe"?
What about my oft asked question? Is it not simpler, and ultimately better, more professional, to use electrical cable ducting for electrical cable and soil pipe for waste water?
I think I've addressed that in my most recent ('duinal' :) ) post.

Kind Regards, John

Wrap the pipe in the tape you put over cables when buying them?
Too slow (and/or unobservant) :) ...
It presumably would not be beyond the wit of man to adequately identify the pipe as being what it was? Quite apart from appropriate warning tape above it (per normal practice), it could actually be 'wrapped in' such tape if one wanted, couldn't it (and, per your subsequent comment, the same for blue MDPE water pipe)?

Kind Regards, John

As a matter of interest, if the hole you'd dug didn't show the end of a section of pipe, and if it had been in the ground for a long time (undoubtedly affecting it's appearance), how would you "easily identity that is plainly not soil pipe"?

Experience, being a competent plumber hopefully. The ducting you linked to is quite flimsy when you come across it and dull in comparison to soil pipe.

I do really agree with all of that but in the OP's case there is only one choice. Buy the correct ducting or buy the incorrect ducting and adapt it. No brainer as far as I am concerned.
As I said, quite apart from the fact that opinions clearly vary, things are not necessarily 'equal' (particularly at the moment).

I have quite a lot of black plastic soil pipe (and downpipe), and fittings, in my garage. If I had a current need to bury a cable in 'ducting' (which I don't), I personally would not hesitate to use it. Quite apart from not particularly wanting to pay for something when I have (what I regard as) 'an adequate alternative', nor do I particularly want to go and do battle with Covid-19 to get the 'proper' product, nor to pay for someone to deliver it! ... but that's obviously just me.

Kind Regards, John

Experience, being a competent plumber hopefully. The ducting you linked to is quite flimsy when you come across it and dull in comparison to soil pipe.
I can't speak for how flimsy it is but, as I implied, soil pipe presumably could look pretty dull after a few years underground.

Kind Regards, John

nor do I particularly want to go and do battle with Covid-19 to get the 'proper' product, nor to pay for someone to deliver it! ... but that's obviously just me.

We are not too far apart John. My old man, an old plumber, used to tell the the story of getting a kick up the backside if he dropped a nail and that being compared to throwing a penny away. I've inherited that abuse!

I can't speak for how flimsy it is but, as I implied, soil pipe presumably could look pretty dull after a few years underground.

Ok.

I’ve got a length of 110mm soil pipe buried underground between the house and the garage with all sorts running through it. It’s been like that for donkeys years without any problem.

Indeed, they are adequately identified by colour, blue for water, yellow for gas, green for cable TV etc.

Provided some clown doesn't use the wrong one.

Would you also consider using the wrong core colours in a flexible cable as it is not beyond the wit of man to adequately identify them?

Let me see brown for earth, blue for live, and a nice stripy green/yellow for neutral.
Makes me wonder if I've stumbled across where Winston lives??????
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/why-i-hate-domestics.507103/page-3#post-4293785 look at post #31

As it happens I know of a site with a long trench circa 150m containing: black for BT phone [as was very standard not that many years back], black power, black for water [as was very standard not that many years ago], black for internal phone/alarms, yellow for gas and Teracota for sewage.

Now this lot had been buried for a lot of years in a heavy brown clay heavily contamitated with grey sand [actually concrete grindings] and heavy oil. Guess what? the clay had stained the black ducts and the sticky deposit actually made the teracotta and blacks not too dissimilar in colour.
The BT and powerducts looked identical despite one having BT written along it as did the water and phone/alarm. The only one which was obviously different was the green duct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back