Cable path

in my opinion to put cable under the floor could be too expensive because there is a carpet fixed to the floor.
Spur could be reasonable.
Can i feed socket from main ring which is outside the room??

you can feed the socket from the ring circuit outside the room. is this a separate circuit to the main room? not that it matters.

try lifting a small area of carpet near where the socket is to go. hopefully there will be a short floorboard to lift. possibly there will be a socket cable that is suitable to use, and with enough slack on it.

is the floor chipboard or traditional floorboards?
or
is it a new house or an old house?

lifting a few floorboards is usually much cheaper/easier/quicker/tidier than long wall chases.

Sponsored Links
Maybe that YouTube handyman suggested gluing carpets down, and someone has...

thanks for all funny respond, so i am starting as a domectic electrician and putting cables under froll is new for me. I am usually work on industrial.
I try to do my work according 17Th edition,
tomorrow I check my work place to ensure how to do it, I will share about

so i am starting as a domectic electrician and putting cables under froll is new for me. I am usually work on industrial.
This isn't meant to be rude, however a substantial part of domestic electrical work is knowing where and how to install cables reasonably quickly, with the minimum damage to the building, and in accordance with BS7671.

if the idea of cables being installed under a floor did not occur to you, then you will find domestic electrical work very difficult and frustrating.

Sponsored Links
I decided to put cable under the floor, it is possible, but there is a spur feeding 3 sockets in conservatory!!!!

So break the ring, add the 3 x spurs in, run from the last spur to the new socket, then from the new socket back to the ring.

Net result is 3 x spur sockets now on ring + new socket on ring.

The cable feed from the lower RHS up to the spur point (upper LHS) can be re-routed to the new socket upper RHS or simple cut out and replace with a new feed between the lower RHS and the new socket.

Bread and butter stuff mate :D

So break the ring, add the 3 x spurs in, run from the last spur to the new socket, then from the new socket back to the ring.

Net result is 3 x spur sockets now on ring + new socket on ring.

Certainly the best way to do the job, but you may struggle to run a cable from the 'last' socket in the conservatory. The floor will probably be solid.

I don't know how 'involved' you plan to get with the conservatory wiring, but a quick easy solution would be to fit an unswitched 13 amp fused spur before the conservatory sockets. The conservatory sockets on the 'load' side. you could even connect your new socket as a spur from here, again connected to the 'load' side. I mention this last option if it is awkward to get the new socket directly on the ring.

I don't know how 'involved' you plan to get with the conservatory wiring, but a quick easy solution would be to fit an unswitched 13 amp fused spur before the conservatory sockets. The conservatory sockets on the 'load' side. you could even connect your new socket as a spur from here, again connected to the 'load' side. I mention this last option if it is awkward to get the new socket directly on the ring.

I am not a spark so may be wrong but I was under the impression you could have no more than 2 spurs off the one outlet. Your method would have 4 off the same point.

No - just the one:

unswitched 13 amp fused spur before the conservatory sockets.
There's the one.

The conservatory sockets on the 'load' side. you could even connect your new socket as a spur from here, again connected to the 'load' side.
Still just the one - the FCU.

Still just the one - the FCU.

So because that would be fused at a maximum of 13A then you can do it that way without overloading the cable?

I see now, thanks BAS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back