Cable rating for 6kw Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on which is the correct rated cable for a 6kw hob. I am planning to instal it on a radial circuit and the manufature ( Teba) states 2.5mm twin and earth cable.
Can this be right ? Given that the max current would be 25amps. I just wanted to be sure if I go with the manufaturers advise whether 2.5mm can cope with the load.

Sponsored Links
2.5mm won't do it. You should use 6mm cable (protected by a 32 or 30A device depending on what type of Consumer Unit you have). Unless it's a ridiculously long way between hob and consumer unit.....

Thanks BusBar for your reply. I will take your advise and use 6mm cable to the consumer unit which is only 15 feet away.
If I may be so bold to ask I plan to run the 6mm cable in the wall, bearing mind the size of the cable, does this have to be in conduit or to save space can it be installed as it is ?

Can be installed buried in wall as it is - you could put PVC capping over it to protect it and make a neater job but not strictly necessary. But you should only run it via accepted routes -150mm of ceiling or edge of wall (NOT along bottom of walls where skirting is) or in line with the destination control switch. If you have to deviate from those routes, you need to provide metal protection - conduit or steel capping, which would need to be earthed - best steer clear of this if you can help it.

Sponsored Links
2.5 will satisfy - just.

If clipped direct and fed via an mcb with a 25A load and fiftenn feet run it will comply. But then you have no leeway for any spare capacity.

6mm2 is best, unless as said before it is a LONG way back to the board.

the advantage to using 6mm or even 10mm is that you don't have to rewire the cuircuit if you deicde to move to an all electric in future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back