Cable route in studded wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only started training in September so sorry if this is a dumb question!

If you’re running a cable vertically in a studded wall (before the plasterboard is fitted) to an accessory what do you do when you come to a noggin? Do you notch-out or drill a hole so that from the side of the wall that doesn’t have the accessory the cable is more than 50mm deep (so no need to protect it) i.e for a 100mm wide noggin drill about 30mm in from the accessory side?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If the studs are 100mm, why not drill down the centre??

If the studs are 100mm, why not drill down the centre??

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I just wondered if, to be on the safe side, you'd exceed the 50mm depth requirement on the side of the wall where you wouldn't expect there to be a cable.

I suppose if you drilled, say, a 2cm diameter hole to accomodate a few cables or maybe a 10mm cable then effectively you'd be reducing the depth (on a 100mm stud) to 40mm either side which wouldn't then meet the "safe requirement". ..or am I just being picky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back