Cable routing and safe zone above front door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get 1 x CAT5, 3 x alarm and 1 x 1.5mm2 3C+E from one side of the front door to the other at ceiling level. The front door opens into a corridor so currently the cables are the other side of a brick wall on the left and need to get to the other side of a wall on the right if that makes sense.

There is about 150mm above the door opening to the plasterboard of the vaulted ceiling which has 150mm of celotex in it.

I guess technically this area about the Door is a safe zone but i can imagine someone putting up a curtain rail or something there in the future so it seems a bit silly to put cables there.

The alternative I'm currently thinking of is to drill through the external wall and run the cables above the soffit and then back through into where they need to be. This feels a bit rough.

Another idea was to add boxing above the front door and use a piece of 2x6 timber covered in plasterboard as the front face of it with a small cavity behind to run the cables through.

Which one sounds best to you guys and are there any other options ive missed?

Sponsored Links
I need to get 1 x CAT5, 3 x alarm and 1 x 1.5mm2 3C+E from one side of the front door to the other at ceiling level. The front door opens into a corridor so currently the cables are the other side of a brick wall on the left and need to get to the other side of a wall on the right if that makes sense. ... There is about 150mm above the door opening to the plasterboard of the vaulted ceiling which has 150mm of celotex in it. ... I guess technically this area about the Door is a safe zone but i can imagine someone putting up a curtain rail or something there in the future so it seems a bit silly to put cables there.
Some of the "safe (I call them 'dangerous'!) zones" do seem a bit silly to me, particularly those created by vertical corners between walls (just where people tend to drill to fix wall cabinets etc.!). However, in your case, if you could run the cables very close to the ceiling, wouldn't they then be fairly safe from someone 'with a drill in their hand'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back