Cable routing on window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a cable for an outdoor light running along the top of a wooden sill, right next to the glazing beads.

After finding a decent amout of rot around and under the glazing bars.
I cant help but think the close postion of the cable to the bead just acts as a water trap, adding to the problem.

After treating and repainting the sill whats the best place to re route the cable?

I was thinking either underneath the sill or along the leading edge where any water would be more likely to drain away
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
For sure, using staples is a guaranteed way to hasten rot.
Once you have done the timber repair, consider running the cable in plastic conduit.....which it should really be anyway! Keep it spaced off the timber so water can pass.
John :)

Forgot to mention the sill is already about 7 foot up as its on the side of a conservatory.

Will have a look for some trunking fixings that don't use nails of screws. Self adhesive backing i guess

Sponsored Links
Depending on the layout, you might be able to get a fixing into the brick and the trunking crossing the window could be self supporting - if you get my drift. I can't see self adhesive stuff being particularly reliable here.
John :)

Cheers John, ill give that a go.
I didnt have much confidence in the self adhesive clips for outdoor use anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back