Cable Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recently aligned about 4inches of t&e cable against the wall and just plastered over it, connecting to a wall fan. It is not in a reachable area and never likely to be nailed or drilled through.

Is this O.K or do I have to take the plaster off and place some PVC channeling over it and then re-plaster it.

Regards: Pete

Sponsored Links
I would say its OK, and leave it plastered over.......anybody who drills or nails around electrical accessories deserves a good shock :evil:

Any anyway - PVC channelling provides bugger all protection from nails and drills.

Sponsored Links
Take this for an example.......plastic capping...not installed properly...drill....nasty combination......and this happened today, trying to install a false ceiling......anybody know any decent sparks..... :oops:

mypicture

Too Late Now.........Some Electricians Should Not Be Allowed To Rewire Houses.......Think I'll Just Twist The Ends Together And Use Some Cellotape........."I Can Just See Spark Havin' A Fit" :LOL:

In my experience you would be better off with masking tape, a far better conductor than sellotape :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: OUCH :!: :!: :idea:
Seriously though I would always use the galvanised steel channel over the plastic when burying power cables anywhere, even if it means pop rivetting two together when going through ceiling voids.

NICE! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . I'll refrain from commenting about some DIY bodge-it-yourself electricians. The sad thing is, from some of the work I've seen, it was probably an electrician who did it. Touch-wood, I've never yet managed to hit a cable or pipe, but on the odd occasion I've used someones 'detector' to locate cables buried in walls they've lied to me anyway!

I think even masking tape is a bit of an over-kill, just twist together and plaster in the wall... :evil: :eek: :LOL: .
shocking.gif

spark said:
I've used someones 'detector' to locate cables buried in walls they've lied to me anyway!

I've not use one of these before,so is it true they're not 100% effective ?

I always tap along the wall gently to learn difference sound effect !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back