When to strip outer grey insulation off 2.5mm twin & earth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run some cables up thru some back boxes for 240v sockets and was just putting some pvc channel over the cables (pairs - it's a ring) when I thought that it might be easier to get the grey outer off before the cables are fixed in place behind the pvc channel and up thru the grommets. Is it an issue or should a spark be able to deal with this later, without any problems after the walls have been plastered?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
when I thought that it might be easier to get the grey outer off before the cables are fixed in place behind the pvc channel and up thru the grommets. Is it an issue or should a spark be able to deal with this later, without any problems after the walls have been plastered?
Not exactly sure I follow that, but
just leave it.

The outer insulation should always enter the enclosure or box, its best not to strip any off till terminating to prevent accidental damage to the inner insulation.
If just passing through a box, where an accessory will be terminated leave a big enough loop to let him strip it and cut to length when he is ready.

Sponsored Links
sounds ok i think,
he can always cut them but CANNOT make them longer.
He should be able to strip them ok, as said if you stripped them now they will get damaged and the Bare earth wire could get contaminated and discolour.
If any further doubts post a picture as I think there is still a bit of confusion as to what your doing, to be honest

20170510_200345.jpg

Looks ok to me, if you now gently curve them into the box it will protect them while plastering.
As a guide you would want them to reach any part of the box plus about 50mm once stripped.
Its always nice to cut a bit off the end and some electricians like the scrap copper :)

pairs - it's a ring
There would be two cables to each socket, apart from the very last one, if it were a radial.

Is it an issue or should a spark be able to deal with this later, without any problems after the walls have been plastered?
That you are asking that can only mean that you do not have an electrician already engaged and telling you what to do and checking your work.

So what do you think is going to happen about an EIC, and (quite possibly) self-certification of Building Regulations compliance?

Should be fine to strip later, the only ones I stripped at first fix were the 10mm² for the cooker circuit. That's just because it was hard to roll into the back boxes otherwise. If you have a decent set of strippers (!) you can easily take the sheath off at second fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back