Should outer shield of T&E enter back box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Apprentice-trained Electrician would ever come to that conclusion though.

I'm with him^^^, while there might be instances where one might consider it to be a slight folly to have the grommet, no one would actually omit it to save what... tuppence? ,its just not the done thing. There are situations in this trade where one should apply engineering judgement, justifying the omitting of rubber grommets is certainly not one of them, plus it makes you look like the chancer who has forgotten to buy grommets from wickes!....

There are a whole host of things which are not specifically referenced in BS7671 (other than falling under 134.1.1) which should generally be done without trying to find a way to say 'regs don't actually require that - ain't doing it'

Installing trunking, conduit and switchgear level.
Using proper brass bolts rather gutter bolts to banjo tags
equallly spacing saddles and cleats
Not using the green/yellow core taped brown as switch wire on photocells
Dressing cables neatly into switchgear and wiring accessories.
...And probably thousands of other things

Its about having pride in your work and not joining in some race to the bottom

Sponsored Links
There are a whole host of things which are not specifically referenced in BS7671 (other than falling under 134.1.1) which should generally be done without trying to find a way to say 'regs don't actually require that - ain't doing it' .... Its about having pride in your work and not joining in some race to the bottom
I would agree with that, as I would with the equivalent in virtually any trade or profession.

However, I would personally also say that "taking pride in one's work" should include taking care to ensure that one's practices can be justified in terms of an understanding of relevant ('electrical'/'engineering' in this case) considerations, rather than being a perpetuation of not-necessarily-rational habits/traditions which may be passed on, without much/any thought, during 'apprentice training'. Some habits/traditions (even 'myths') die hard!

Kind Regards, John

No Apprentice-trained Electrician would ever come to that conclusion though.

Absolute Codswallop!
I know of one that does not, and another so called electrician (unproven qualifications) that does not always fit grommets too.

Really ****es me off, with me not being a real sparky, that I insist on always doing the right thing (i.e. fitting grommets where a wire or cable goes through a metal hole) and these damn supposedly qualified electricians (who should know better) get away with not doing it. :(

If you use 20mm oval plastic this can enter the back box so no grommet required in this case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back