What would you do? Outer sheath removed outside of back box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice as to what I should do next...

I have a spur being taken from a socket on the ring, supplying a socket 1 metre away for a wall mounted TV.

However, the 2.5mm cable that is being used for the spur has its outer sheath stripped back by about an inch outside the back box. The back box has a grommet strip on it, and the cable in question has insulation tape wrapped around it.

As you can tell from the photo, the room was plastered yesterday so in an ideal world I’m hoping the answer will be “leave it, it’s not great, but doesn’t pose a risk”.

Thoughts?

99D02A46-46AF-4719-9E67-F96583971FC5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Technically I'd say it was not necessarily wrong but poor workmanship.
As the wall has now been plastered, and I assume the cables are not in conduit/ducting to allow you pull any slack through, then it should be ok.
There are thousands, if not millions, of similar installations throughout the country which don't even have the grommets fitted.

Technically I'd say it was not necessarily wrong but poor workmanship.
As the wall has now been plastered, and I assume the cables are not in conduit/ducting to allow you pull any slack through, then it should be ok.
There are thousands, if not millions, of similar installations throughout the country which don't even have the grommets fitted.
It absolutely is technically wrong to have a sheath removed outside of an enclosure and containment system as there is no mechanical protection for the insulated cores.

You could get some sheath from a 6.0 T+E and slide it over.

Not perfect, but better.

Sponsored Links
How are you going to slide a piece of sheath in if the wall has been plastered up to the other side of the entry hole?
It should have been corrected before the plasterer got started.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

@conny is right, it should have been resolved prior to plastering (my fault, it was on my to do list and didn’t happen).

The external sheath is missing for less than an inch outside the back box, and I’m hopeful that this shouldn’t cause any issues, although not ideal.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have had a closer look this morning and it appears that the cores are wrapped in insulation tape up until point of entry into the back box, therefore having an extra layer of protection unlike first thoughts.

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice as to what I should do next...

I have a spur being taken from a socket on the ring, supplying a socket 1 metre away for a wall mounted TV.

However, the 2.5mm cable that is being used for the spur has its outer sheath stripped back by about an inch outside the back box. The back box has a grommet strip on it, and the cable in question has insulation tape wrapped around it.

As you can tell from the photo, the room was plastered yesterday so in an ideal world I’m hoping the answer will be “leave it, it’s not great, but doesn’t pose a risk”.

Thoughts?

View attachment 196758

Personally, I would leave it and not give it a second thought. That pvc on the individual cores will outlive all of us, those cores are plastered in, and will never move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back