cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a power shower in our new en suite.

I'm am going to take a spur from the ring main. Shower unit protected with a 3 amp fuse (outside the en suite )

My question is . Am I correct in using 2.5mm ring main cable?

Sponsored Links
The spur from the ring final, can be 1.5mm2 CSA and 1.00mm2 flex from the 3A spur.
Any newly buried will very likely require RCD protection as will any circuit entering the bathroom, as the equipment will be in a bathroom zone, this is deemed noticeably work.

Sponsored Links
And notifiable works too…
Assuming we're talking about a shower pump (3A is hardly enough for an electric shower!), does that not depend upon where the pump is located?
JohnW2, it will be a thermostatic power shower, they look very much like the high powered electric ones, but have both hot and cold water supply with an internal pump inside the enclosure. They only require a small current to run, the motors are normally around 150W.

Last edited:
JohnW2, it will be a thermostatic power shower, they look very much like the high powered electric ones, but have both hot and cold water supply with an internal pump inside the enclosure. They only require a small current to run, the motors are normally around 150W.
That assumption may well be correct (particularly given what the OP has told us since I made my comment) - in which case, as TTC said, it would be notifiable. However, we could have been talking about a 'manual' thermostatic shower with a separate shower pump - in which case, as I said, whether or not it were notifiable (probably not) would presumably have depended upon where the pump were located.

Kind Regards, John

From the OPs opening post and description, I correctly gathered that it was a thermostatic power shower, such as the the Mira Event, Go or Vigor (other brands/models are available). Not an external shower pump!
I have already indicated the work is notifiable!

From the OPs opening post and description, I correctly gathered that it was a thermostatic power shower, such as the the Mira Event, Go or Vigor (other brands/models are available). Not an external shower pump!
As I have said, your assumption has seemingly turned out to have been correct.

FWIW, I know several people who have systems with shower pumps which they describe as "power showers" - so I wouldn't personally have made that assumption from what was said in the OP.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I know but have they really got 'shower pumps' or did they mean something else?

You are mixing with the wrong kind of people which has lead you to always think people are always wrong and actually mean something else when they write something. Are they women? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back