cable size

Yes, I know but have they really got 'shower pumps' or did they mean something else?
Yes, I'm talking about people who really have got shower pumps, but refer to what they have as a 'power shower'. FWIW, I've even come across someone who has a (real) power shower but describes it as a 'pumped shower'.
You are mixing with the wrong kind of people which has lead you to always think people are always wrong and actually mean something else when they write something.
I said nothing about "always wrong", or even "often wrong". I was merely pointing out that I would not have made the assumption (as PBoD did) that the OP was using correct terminology, given that I personally know some people who would use that same terminology ('incorrectly') to refer to something different.

When someone talks about the 'low voltage' lights they want to install, do you really automatically believe/assume that they really do mean LV, rather than ELV? I suspect not!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
They are not called 'power showers'. :)
'Are not', or 'should not be'?

screenshot_854.jpg

I know several people who have systems with shower pumps which they describe as "power showers"
I know people who describe their hot water cylinder as a 'boiler'. They are wrong as well.
Indeed so, but everyone seems to be missing my point. All I said was that, given that some people do use the incorrect terminology, I would not assume that they actually meant what the terminology they had used actually (correctly) meant. As I just wrote to EFLI, I don't think that many of us 'assume' that an OP who asks about 'low voltage lights' really is referring to LV ones, do you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I said nothing about "always wrong", or even "often wrong". I was merely pointing out that I would not have made the assumption (as PBoD did) that the OP was using correct terminology, given that I personally know some people who would use that same terminology ('incorrectly') to refer to something different.
I know but we can't start every thread with "Do you mean what you say?"

When someone talks about the 'low voltage' lights they want to install, do you really automatically believe/assume that they really do mean LV, rather than ELV? I suspect not!
We have to query that because even the manufacturers get it wrong - as with your picture; it is not a power shower pump.

The language will have evolved when 51% are wrong but that doesn't make it right.

I know but we can't start every thread with "Do you mean what you say?"
When one knows that some people use the terminology in question incorrectly, then if it is important to know what they really mean, then one really must ask for clarification - rather than "assume".
We have to query that because even the manufacturers get it wrong
Even if the manufacturers always got it right, we know that a very high proportion of the general public use 'low voltage' to refer to ELV, so it would be crazy to just "assume" that they really meant LV. Have you ever heard an 'ordinary member of the general public' talk of 'low voltage lighting' and really mean LV.
We have to query that because even the manufacturers get it wrong - as with your picture; it is not a power shower pump.
Mistaken identity - I have posted no pictures in this thread!
The language will have evolved when 51% are wrong but that doesn't make it right.
I'm not talking about right and wrong. I'm merely saying that one should not assume that correct terminology is being used if/when one knows that some people use incorrect terminology.

Kind Regards, John

In my view the fact that an accessory that will/cannot take no more than 13A and on this occasion it is reduced to 3A. I cannot see why a 1.5mm2 T&E cable that has a maximum current carrying capacity of around 20A, could not be used.
Although BS7671 Appendix 15 does not show this in their guidance, does not make it electrically unsafe. The key word being guidance and not a statutory regulation.

But being pedantic regarding my post suggesting 1.5mm2 CSA cable could be used, it is being assumed that twin and earth, rather than MIMS is to be used!?:sneaky:

Last edited:
John was being rather sardonic in his reply.

There is no reason why 1.5mm² cannot be used (assuming fault current criteria are met).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back