Cable sizing query - LV lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I am in the process of completing the first fix for a kitchen refurbishment. The second fix and testing will be completed by an electrician however I he is away at the moment and I need to install a couple of cables so that I can get the walls skimmed this week.

I want to install under unit worktop lights. Part of the installation will involve running a cable (downstream of the transformer/driver) from one set of wall units to another (approx 2m away) to power and additional 2 lights.

I thought about running a length of 1mm lighting cable but I am not sure if this will be to large for the terminals. Looking at some of the prewired lights the cables look alot smaller.

What size cable do i need to install?

Thanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
You should not conceal any of the cables before the electrician returns because if you do he will not be allowed to certify the installation.

I don't think he'd be too fussed about some concealed cables.

If I'm first fixing and slide cable into conduit or studwall, even I as the installer and tester can't see the cable anymore right after it's been installed.

I don't think he'd be too fussed about some concealed cables.
How can he verify where they are and legally sign that he put them there?

If I'm first fixing and slide cable into conduit or studwall, even I as the installer and tester can't see the cable anymore right after it's been installed.
Presumably you will be fairly certain they are still where you left them.

If someone else had done it, you would not be the installer nor know, would you?

You do seem partial to mischievous and misleading posts.

You don't make friends with salad - Homer Simpson.

Sponsored Links
You do seem partial to mischievous and misleading posts.

No, I just have a realistic approach, which some challenge as it's away from the 'norm', away from an opinion which appears popular to jump onto the riding bandwagon and the clique.

Dear jrinterfuse

These are not "LV" lights.

LV is from 50v to 500volts

Regular mains electricity is low voltage.

Perhaps you mean extra low voltage???

OK lesson over.

The size of the cable will be determined by the current being carried.

Questions

What is the voltage from the transformer?
How many lamps, and what wattage are each of these on the end of each piece of cable?
What is the distance from the transformer to the lamp(s)?

No, I just have a realistic approach, which some challenge as it's away from the 'norm', away from an opinion which appears popular to jump onto the riding bandwagon and the clique.
No - you have a criminal attitude and you say that because you would be happy to lie about having done something you had not then all other electricians would do the same.

That's why you get challenged, because your approach is flat-out wrong, not simply away from the norm.

But then as you don't think that reasonable provision for safety should be made in electrical installations, and you want the law requiring that to be repealed, I guess we should not be surprised.

Ban Part P

No - you have a criminal attitude and you say that because you would be happy to lie about having done something you had not then all other electricians would do the same.

That's why you get challenged, because your approach is flat-out wrong, not simply away from the norm.

But then as you don't think that reasonable provision for safety should be made in electrical installations, and you want the law requiring that to be repealed, I guess we should not be surprised.

Ban Part P

My approach isn't flat out wrong, I'm just not in your clique.

Criminal mind? Get over yourself.

And

:LOL: do you take everything seriously? You really do come across like a 5w light bulb.

'Ban all sheds'

So you don't think that reasonable provision for tool storage should be made in peoples gardens?

You really are a wrong un. No wonder Screwfix banned you.

:LOL:

Goodness me :LOL:

No, in this case i have to agree with B-A-S (as i regularly do)

Cables cannot be concealed by person A only for person B to say yes they were installed correctly and sign for it. If they are to be concealed, it should be done after the person who is signing the job off has inspected.

different scenario - because there is a difference in cable containment and cable concealment.

If cables are put in a channel in the wall and then plastered over whats to say that the cables if less than 50mm where mechanically protected? (if in a none safe zone as Simon pointed out)

in conduit the electrician signing off will be able to say if they are installed correctly or not seeing as though conduit is an acceptable method of containment, and the fact that he will be able to see the installation in its entirity.

Why are we even discussing this? we all know what should be done to comply so why try an argue shortcuts?

My approach isn't flat out wrong, I'm just not in your clique.

Criminal mind? Get over yourself.
Just because you don't like/agree with a law doesn't mean someone is wrong if they point out that it applies. The law is fairly simple - if you are relying on the electrician self certifying the work through his scheme (which it sounds like you are) then what you propose requires him to make a false statement.

Now, I agree there should be room for pragmatism, and in practice "who would know" - but if something should happen then brown stuff could be flying off the fan.
So you don't think that reasonable provision for tool storage should be made in peoples gardens?
Well on a personal level it would be something that makes sense. However it is irrelevant because there isn't (AFAIK) a law requiring it.

Now, to your original question.
No-one here can provide an answer because you don't provide the information needed. Principally, you need to know the current to be drawn, and the allowable volt drop through that piece of cable (some lights are more tolerant of volt drops than others). Given those two values, the required cable size can be determined.
I would suggest you just put a piece of white oval conduit in - then whatever cable is required can be fed in afterwards (I really dislike burying cables in plaster). If it's in a safe zone then (I believe) it doesn't need any protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back