Cable termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single story extension out the back, housing the kitchen. It has a flat roof. Earlier I had the ceiling changed and took the opportunity to install a couple of runs of trunking, the idea being that if ever should I need to run a cable from front to back, I could just rod it through the trunking. As an insurance policy, before sealing the void, I also ran some Cat 5 and 4x 2.5mm t&e through, just in case that rodding idea should go bad. Now I was thinking about how to terminate the end of those cables that come into a loft area. The idea I had in mind of some kind of enclosure with cable entry and exit and maybe a chocblock or some such. The box will be mounted on a wall, so available for inspection/maintenance/admiration. Does such a product exist or does anyone have any better suggestions, please? The idea is the the box will act as a point to neatly terminate the cables for the time being and also a place to joint something onto them, should they ever be pressed into service. Equally, if anyone has any good suggestions for doing the same with the Cat 5, I'm all ears :)

Sponsored Links
If they're not connected to anything at either end just leave them coiled up. No need to terminate them at all.

...I also ran some Cat 5 and 4x 2.5mm t&e through, just in case that rodding idea should go bad. Now I was thinking about how to terminate the end of those cables that come into a loft area. The idea I had in mind of some kind of enclosure with cable entry and exit and maybe a chocblock or some such.
If you're not happy with just coiling up the cables, haven't you really answered your own question? ... a plastic box with some holes drilled it it, cable glands if you really want and some connector block inside!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, yes, I was wondering if such a product existed without having to resort to making one?

Get some pieces of hardwood (mahogany might be nice), and build a cover for the end of the trunking with exquisite joints.

Lovingly French polish it - don't rush this step, proper French polishing takes time, but the results are worth it.

Every now and then go and dust it, and admire its beauty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back