Cable Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had an electrician extend 10 cables in some galvanized box trunking in my work shop and have just come to put the capping back on to find that he has used crimp joints and just put them back in the trunking....

Should these not be covered by heat shrink or brought in to an adaptable box and terminated there?

Just want to get my facts streight before I go shouting the odds.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Too bad.

IMO they aren't totally safe unless covered/taped, also they are a permanent joint, so i can't see a reason way you would want to uncover them.

They are insulated crimps connecting two pieces of single insulated conductor. Why would you need to double insulate the (already) insulated junction.

If you are going to wrap the crimp in tape, then you may as well wrap the entire cable. Its a pointless exercise.

And have you seen what happens to that tape after a few years…?

They are insulated crimps connecting two pieces of single insulated conductor. Why would you need to double insulate the (already) insulated junction. ... If you are going to wrap the crimp in tape, then you may as well wrap the entire cable. Its a pointless exercise.
It's hard to disagree with, that, provided we are talking about singles. Although I suppose it's probable, I don't think that we have actually been told that they are (singles).
And have you seen what happens to that tape after a few years…?
Quite. If one needs (or feels the need) to do it, then PVC tape is clearly not very desirable - heat-shrink would surely be the thig to use?

Kind Regards, John

heat-shrink would surely be the thig to use?

It's a lot of work though.

First you have to crimp the cables together.
Then you have to get the heat shrink.
Then you have to cut the crimp out again.
Then you have to slide on the heat shrink.
Then you have to re-crimp the cables.
Then you have to shrink the heat shrink.

It's a lot of work though.
First you have to crimp the cables together.
Then you have to get the heat shrink.
Then you have to cut the crimp out again.
Then you have to slide on the heat shrink.
Then you have to re-crimp the cables.
Then you have to shrink the heat shrink.
Appreciably less than that, though, if one does it by first intent! However, as I've already said, none of the shrink-related steps are needed unless one feels the need for additional insulation over the crimp.

Kind Regards, John

I have seen crimps ( in industrial control wiring ) where it was possible to access the metal connector by inserting a thin wire or probe between the sleeve of the crimp and the wire going into the crimp. Very low risk of any random metal getting into the crimp but they certainly were not water proof.

I have seen crimps ( in industrial control wiring ) where it was possible to access the metal connector by inserting a thin wire or probe between the sleeve of the crimp and the wire going into the crimp. Very low risk of any random metal getting into the crimp but they certainly were not water proof.
I'm sure that's true, but don't forget that, within an acceptable enclosure, even 'bare' accessible live conductors are not necessarily forbidden.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back