cable through garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do i need plannng permission or need to let anyone know to run a cable through my garden from my house to a cu in my shed?

Sponsored Links
You are talking about running an electricity supply to an outbuilding that is part of domestic premises?

This is notifiable work under Part P of Building Regs

Look at the Electrics UK forum or ask an electrician.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

I have just done the same thing.

Two choices.
1. Get the work done by a part P registered electrician.

2. Put in a building notice with the council, get an electrician to do the work or do it yourself, then get the installation tested by a competent person. (Normally this would be a qualified electrician but in this case they DO NOT have to be part P registered)

I went route 2, did the work myself then got it tested but I had to put in a building notice for some construction work anyway.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
What if he just puts a plug on the cable and plugs it into a socket in the house? (with a RCD plug or adapter)

No bregs required then

unless the work includes fitting a consumer unit, of course (which he says it does)

Or unless the cable through the garden is fixed, because if it is then the Building Regulations apply - it doesn't matter whether there is a plug on the end of fixed wiring or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back