Cable type and size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an annexe in my garden that now needs to have electric run to it.
The annexe will need to have power for the usual lighting, sockets for tv, fridge, freezer, cooker hood, microwave. etc.
Later on a cooker will need power so guess it is best to cater for that now.
As the annexe is a little bit down the garden the power cable will be under the ground in piping, any other thing I should do?
Does it need to be armoured cable bearing in mind it will be encased in plastic piping.
Also what thickness should I go for?
Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
The cable needs to be armoured or similar, i.e. with an earthed outer sheath.
You'd be better employing an electrician to come and quote as this is notifiable under part p.

Already is living accomodation, just that it was just a living room, bathroom and bedrooms, for cooking etc they would do this in the main house.
Now I want to make this a self contained annexe.
I am not going to do this myself, I have a friend who's a sparky, but just want to try and get a little bit of more info before i ask him round for a quote.

Sponsored Links
Already is living accomodation, just that it was just a living room, bathroom and bedrooms, for cooking etc they would do this in the main house.
Now I want to make this a self contained annexe.

Which requires planning permission as you're creating a new self-contained dwelling.

Right lets get this right.
It HAS planning permission originally for a self contained dwelling.......just that the previous owners never carried out the work, just had it as living room etc.

I am not after clarifying on planning permission regulations.......just the original question answered.

The original question has already been answered - you need armoured cable, regardless of it being installed in 'plastic piping'.

If this is a self contained property, it should have a separate supply and meter, therefore cable type and size is irrelevant, as the DNO will be installing the supply.

You need the distance on cable and you need to work out the total possible load.

Use 2 core and PVC in the TLC calculator as 3 core is a 3 phase calculation and unless you have 90 degrees connections the XPLE rating shouldn't be used.

I'm interested as I've been wondering about a gym in the garden with shower and toilet but this is so close to a self-contained guest annexe, I don't expect planners would see the difference.

There are different requirements for lighting and other circuits. For lighting you are only permitted a 3% voltage drop but you can have a 5% drop for power circuits. A 32 A circuit is usually appropriate for up to 15 kW of cooker appliances. A 6 A circuit is typical for lighting. You should choose between 20 A or 32 A for sockets (20 A can serve up to 50m² of floor area).

You haven't mentioned heating or washing. A fixed heater might need its own circuit. An electric shower could easily demand more than the rest put together.

You might consider an LPG cooker.

The list goes on. I hope this helps you understand the proposals.

The TLC calculator for 50m shows that 15 kW through 16mm² is not good enough for lighting because of the voltage drop. You might be quoted for a separate smaller cable for a lighting circuit (cheaper than going to 25mm²). For shorter lengths, a single cable might be adequate for lighting too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back