hi
Is this a cloth covered rubber cable in my bathroom and is it dangerous
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
hard to tell from that picture, i think there used to be heat resisting cable made, that looked similar to that, but at a quess it would have been installed over 40 years ago.
Any idea how long its been there and what its for

It's for a fluorescent light on the wall it has probably been there since the 50s it's used every day, I was just a bit concerned as I have never seen above the light before and I don't want it to fail and give someone an electric shock, will all the power cables in the house be like that?

Sponsored Links
1950s will almost certainly be rubber insulated wiring, which is well past the end of it's expected lifespan.
Suggest that you have the whole installation inspected.

What is the fusebox like? Picture of it would be helpful.

I doubt that it is immediately dangerous; it doesn't seem to be damaged. Especially if it is out-of-reach. But you should consider getting an electrician to do a condition report on the whole house, and to advise on what needs urgent or not-so-urgent attention.

i dont think its rubber coated, them days there was a flex with a sort of criss cross braided outer coating made of a material, though I dont think it was asbestos, but had similar heat properties, I have seen it on imersions and heaters, it was maybe used in your case due to the heat of the lights internal control gear.

That outer is still used on e.g. irons. I suspect that the same outer has been used over various different inner insulation materials over the years.

Possibly, though the stuff I mean is more robust than the stuff on irons, the cable was white and I think was genarally used them days before being replaced with 80 degree Butyl rubber flex.

The fuse box is a brown wylex board with fuse wire fuses and there is also another small wylex box next to it with two circuit breakers and an rcd which is for the outside sockets and the garage, the whole wiring system is in very good condition as far as I can see and very tidy I might get it rewired in the next few years

The fuse box is a brown wylex board with fuse wire fuses and there is also another small wylex box next to it with two circuit breakers and an rcd which is for the outside sockets and the garage,
So none of your indoor sockets have RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back