Cables buried in plaster, Settle arguement at work please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If 2.5 t & e is clipped to a wall and covered in plaster which is not 50mm deep, does it have to be protected by steel conduit, or am I misenterpretating the regs. If its in the 150mm safe zone, is protection reqd. Diagonals do require protection I argue, in safe zone no protection I argue and also horizontally/vertically from outlet no protection reqd as its assumed cable runs are to it. Guy at work says protect ALL if less than 50mm, I disagrea.
Clarification appreciated, lots of beer on this. I'm currently looking for me regs book, tidied up now can't find it

Sponsored Links
Go claim your pint! See page 53 of OSG
Have a good night!

SB :LOL:

Regulation 522-06-06 of BS7671 states:

"A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm from the surfaces of the wall or partition shall:
(i) comply with Regulation 522-06-07, or
(ii) be installed within 150mm of the top of the wall or partition or within 150mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accesory or switchgear on the wall or partition, the cable may be installed outside these zones only in a straight run either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accesory or switchgear."

Regulation 522-06-07 refers to covering cables with earthed metallic protection.

So in summary no protection is required in safe zones by BS7671, but it is good working practice to fit it regardless.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help, I can go to work armed with my OSG and be as smug as I want now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back