Cables going straight up?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install an extractor fan above my new cooker. There's a handy plug socket, but I assume that the live wire goes straight up. Where I'd it safe to drill a bit hole?

Attachments

• IMG_20170822_225050423_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170822_225050423_HDR.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
I need to install an extractor fan above my new cooker. There's a handy plug socket, but I assume that the live wire goes straight up. Where I'd it safe to drill a bit hole?

You cannot assume anything. You or a sparks need to look inside the cooker control unit and see which way the cable goes. Or perhaps try a cable tracer.

Yeah, annoying, as it was installed today, I should have thought to ask at the time!

They may not have opened that box, they may have just connected up behind the cooker.

Sponsored Links
For that style of switch/socket, removing the two small screws above and below the socket will enable just the front cover plate to be removed, leaving the socket and wiring in place.

for a cooker isolator that old I wouldn't be surprised to steel the cables in steel conduit

I think MK still make those.

But I suspect that one is fairly old. The cable may run in the brick cavity, as it's probably an older installation.

They do but I suspect it's only because there's millions out there and often people don't want to remove that giant knockout box for fear of their house falling down around their ears :whistle::whistle:.

What surprises me is that MK still make miniature surface mounted single and double sockets, presumably for replacing old skirting board mounted sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back