Cables in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would anyone know what these cables may be for, they are running from my neighbours loft and into mine (or from mine, into my neighbours), I need to find out where they lead to, but thought it would be best if someone could identify them on here?

Thanks

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
The brown one suggests an old TV coax. The black maybe cable TV, or an old RadioRentals cable. Why they run through your loft I have no idea, perhaps every householder agreed to them going through their lofts, to avoid cabling along the outside eaves?

Why not speak to your neighbours and ask them if you can see where they go?

Thanks for the advice. I may ask him - however, we're not on the greatest terms. Would rather find out by other means if I could :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah all the way through, when I looked at them in mine, they were attached to some sort of metal small square box thing that had a green chip-board on it. Then I tried to find out where they went to - the small brown one went down a white tube that was stood up, that looked liked it was attached to the cavity ceiling maybe? The other larger cable, I would have to move all the insulation to find out.

green chip-board

Did you mean a green circuit board?

Do you know where your TV antenna is and how its cable is routed to your TV? I have in mind that maybe the brown cable might be supplying your TV and the drop from the antenna goes into next doors loft, then into your loft.

Do you know where your TV antenna is and how its cable is routed to your TV? I have in mind that maybe the brown cable might be supplying your TV and the drop from the antenna goes into next doors loft, then into your loft.

I'll try take a photo of it - I don't use any aerial cables, we only use sky.

I went back up and took photos of the small metal unit the wires are attached to. The thick black wire, has been cut from my side as I kept pulling at it and it was cut. The small brown wire goes down the white tube on the attached photo.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 308
I think it is an early cable TV system using VHF distribution. Stevenage, Milton Keynes, and Westminster had such systems. I’m sure there must be others.

TELENG was the trademark of Telefusion-Engineering. Manufactured equipment for wired distribution of TV and "radio" programs

So this I imagine would be okay to cut when I get it bricked up? I have any TV aerial slots upstairs, so it makes no different to me. Looks like the wires are running from the neighbours property and into ours in this case.

It very much looks like a communal tv aerial system cable.
Cutting it however may be an issue if its still in use so you need to check that first.
Have a look outside and see if there is a large TV aerial on the end of the row of houses or a thick black cable coming out of the end one heading towards a large aerial.
Have the neighbours in the opposite direction got sky tv or their own aerials up?

I had a similar cable running through my loft when I lived in Burnley, I cut it and the neighbours complained about the tv going off (although I think they stopped paying their nynex bill too).

Make up a feasible story about it failing/becoming damaged just in case you do get challenged on it.
And the brown one, see if you can cut that so the neighbours keep the longest length and shove it back through the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back