Cables to prepare for new TV and mounting

So does that mean you can CUT the NX100?

I didn't realise that, I thought I had to use the full 25m LOL, that's why I was put off,

LMAO at the things we take for granted, such as presuming someone understands that a reel of cable is there to be cut to length. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Life lesson 101.... Never assume anything.

Sponsored Links
To me it was akin to cutting a HDMI cable to length, which is why I didn't think about cutting it!

Didn't realise it is I guess more of a raw cable which you can cut.

Thanks!

Well, now you know. Something with bare ends - that means no plugs fitted - usually denotes that its cable to be cut to length.

(y)

So I just went to Screwfix and apparently the Nexans one is all sold out! It must be that good then?

They recommended me this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-rg6...oaxial-cable-25m-drum/846jy?_requestid=407793

And so I just got it as he said it was the same thing just different brand. I tried asking for the Webro one on your list but they don't do it.

Have you guys used the cable above before? If its not too bad Ill just use it. It doesn't mention any copper though... Is that bad?

Thanks

Edit: So Toolstation was next door and I decided to also buy this:

https://www.toolstation.com/doncaster-cables-coaxial-satellite-cable-ct100/p76604

Its got good reviews and the guy said it was sufficient for TV.

They did have copper braided one available but it only came by the 100m and I thought that was overkill.

So now I have 50m of cable of which I only need 3m.

I think I'll use the Doncaster one as it seems to have pretty good reviews.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The guy(?) behind the counter is an expert in aerial and satellite gear, is he?

(Answer: No)

Yeh I didn't trust them, but I didn't have any better advice at that point as they didn't sell any of your products listed lol!

I see that the CT100 is on your list even though 6th that's good enough for me maybe. It's unfortunate the Nexans was out of stock.

Maybe I should just wait for it to come back into stock and then just chase it through myself, shouldn't be took difficult hopefully.

Look what I found: attached :D

Attachments

• 20201206_134501.jpg
    20201206_134501.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 106
Putting compression plugs on indoor cables is a bit overkill TBH. However, if you read the post where I ran through the cable types, you'll see that WF / NX / PF / TX and CT 100 are all RG6 SIZED cables. Do you get that? They are all the same size. So if the compression plug kit says it's for RG6, then the plugs will fit any RG6 SIZED cable.

I bought one of those compression tools that looks like a red-handled stapler. I wanted to compare it to my pro compression tool. For a small DIY job it works just fine.

Tbh the compression stuff just comes with it. A lot of them come with it on Amazon I think, I'm just going to use the cutter to cut the end off.

Also, yes, I must have missed that part. That's good news then!

Okay many thanks.

So I've managed to cut them and (test) connect them to the wall, please see attached images.

So for TV it goes: Coax Cable > F Connector > F Connector adaptor to female > Wall

And for Sat: Coax Cable > F Connector > Wall

1) For the "TV" connection, it is really chunky. I will have a TV stand, so I can't really have all this length poking out. Can we shorten this somehow? Is there an F connector that goes straight to female? I was thinking of having one of these L-shaped ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coaxial-Ae...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

But they don't female to female? All of them are male to female, in which case I would need to add ANOTHER adaptor?

Why do they have a male "TV" on the wall? It just seems inconvenient. Is the "Return" female port on the wall TV also, can I use this one instead?

2) For Sat, it seems good. I think I might buy the right angled-one to save space.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Sat.jpg
    Sat.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 77
  • TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
the "return" socket is intended to be used to feed the second output of a sky box to other parts of the house. do we assume that the short bits of coax are just you getting used to fitting f connectors? if you want right angle adaptors from f conn to male/female "tv" plugs the e-bay is much better than amazon ie
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIGHT-AN...265933?hash=item51ef30390d:g:QfUAAOSwHMJYKdg7
and
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Righ...539844&hash=item56ae1677c9:g:YmsAAOSwB4ha4OVw

right angle adaptors for sat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-90-D...765632?hash=item2cb1a25040:g:aGEAAOxyDEVSdVq-

if you search you will find packs of five for half the price of amazon and just as good (always handy to have spares!)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Oh I see,

Yes haha, this is just me practicing the cutting and connections on a small piece of cable.

Oh nice, I think one of those female to female right angles will be much cleaner for me!

By the way, does connecting many adaptors together cause a reduction in quality? As I will be using about 2 adaptors in the TV connection!

Thanks,

The wall socket has a male because the female socket as fitted to your TV is an IN, and so the opposite of an IN is an OUT, and the opposite of a female IN is a male OUT.

Its been this way for years,certainly as far back as the days of VHS and Betamax VCRs. You never really noticed because the leads supplied in the VCR box for the connection to the TV were female to male. That, or they came with a gender changer adapter.

Coming back to your cabling, all these adapters and plug ends are just making a simple TV coax job much harder than it has to be.

For the wall side you need a female coax plug. For the TV end its a male. That's it, unless you want to get fancy with right-angle connectors. I wouldn't bother though as the lead at the wall will have as compact an end as the sat cable. At the TV end, the lead often plugs in so the cable tail runs parallel with the screen surface rather than sticking out perpendicular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back