CAD wood etching.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do any of you do wood etching using a CAD laser setup?
Met a guy at a car boot sale last week who was selling kitchen chopping boards with various designs etched onto them. Seems an easy enough hobby but have no idea of the costs involved to buy the machine and if you can use a standard laptop for the programmes.

Sponsored Links
Brother in law used to draw on timber with soldering iron , similar result .

Cambridge is about 40 miles away so not really practical to join but next time the wife wants to go shopping there, (which will probably be soon as Christmas is approaching), I'll try to pop in and have a chat with them.
Cheers Tony.

Foxhole, we have a soldering iron type burner but looking for something we can set up and leave to get on with it while we do other crafts. Iron burning can be quite time consuming and would not be economical for what we have planned.

Sponsored Links
I thought you just the other side of Newmarket conny. There is another similar group in Norwich.

No mate. I used to work in Newmarket but I live in a little village about 10 miles south of BSE. Norwich is even further I think.

Try the soldering iron method first, Lidl sometimes do a kit for wood burning.
Then when your sure that its what you want to do you can look at the CAD side.

We've done the soldering iron on a few other projects.
For this project we need to be able to set something up and leave it to do it's thing while we carry on with other parts of the project.
Time factors need to be as short as possible for each stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back