Calculating topsoil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had a new drive installed and asked the guys to remove all the front lawn as i intended to get it all dug over and plant new turf as the thing was lumpy bumpy and full of moss.
With this now done i need to bring in some topsoil to build it up.
How do i go about calculating how much i need as i have had to build a 6" retaining wall to help bring some height to one end and in turn reduce the slope ???
Plus someone told me to rotovate sharp sand into the topsoil to give it good drainage ?
Regards

Sponsored Links
shame you got them to dig it up, it could have all been rotovated and saved a bit of money on getting it taken away and paying for more to be bought in!

As for calculating it, its the length x width x depth. Obviously as you work it it will compact so allow about an extra 1"-1 1/2" for compaction. With regards to the sloping area, measure the square area of it and take the depth at the halfway point of the slope. Dont forget if youre laying turf it will have 1/2" of topsoil on it so you can take that off of the compaction rate if that makes sense!

Thats what works for me, others may have more complicated methods, but as i said works for me!

Thanks for that Thermo,
I asked them just to scrape the top off so i could rotovate it myslef and in turn introduce topsoil to bring it all up top a new and eye pleasing level.
I will try to work out my requirements from your formula ?
One other thing, do i need to introduce sand into the topsoil to aid drainage as the lawn will have a slight slope anyway ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back