"Calibrate" dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

recently purchased Megaman Dimmer-able CFL's - nice. However, the stated dimming range (10% - 100%) is not achievable on the standard dimmer I have. The instructions say you can get a type of dimmer that you can calibrate to achieve the full range. This has an additional pot (turned by small screwdriver) inside the dimmer itself, behind the faceplate. I've never seen or heard of such a thing - anyone point me in the right direction for one of these?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dave - cheers for that. I'm still struggling to find a UK supplier of any of those - MK seem to have it all wrapped up here! Know any online retailer that does these?

Steve - they're not GU10's - although you can get them. ebulbshop.com have a huge range - great prices and great service, BTW.

They do, I'll admit, take a while to warm up, and there's a noticeable delay in start. However, it's just a question of "relearning" how lights come on: after a lifetime of instant incandescent light, you just need to get used to the new way! I find reciting the mantra "this room now consumes 54W, when it used to consume 360W!" really helps :D Also... they might take a minute to warm up..... so what? Go put the kettle on, or pour a beer while you're waiting!

Incidentally, of all the CFL's I use, I find the Megaman ones are amongst the slowest to start and warm up. I chose these, because I wanted the ability to run them on dimmers, and they DO work.

Sponsored Links
i must admit i noticed the same when i bought the megaman dimmable gu10's they are very slow. after a little sampling with different dimmers for the amount of lamps i needed to drive they worked out great and save the customer plenty.

Incidentally, of all the CFL's I use, I find the Megaman ones are amongst the slowest to start and warm up. I chose these, because I wanted the ability to run them on dimmers, and they DO work.[/quote]

Varilight do a fully dimmable CFL that warms up very quickly.......try internetswitchstore.com

I know nothing at all about 'calibrating' dimmer switches........however, Varilight make very robust dimmers that can even dim Megaman lamps......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back