Calling electricain

T

timmyquick

Hi all

I am finally calling an electrician next week, to sort out having no earth connection. I have posted a lot of questions on here lately, so thanks for all the replys. I have been trying to put a lot of the dodgy diy electrics right, so there is less for the electrician to find fault and charge me for repair. So have been checking suspect wiring as well as making a few additions myself. What i would like to find out now is if this is acceptable.

Checked my kitchen wiring. It is supplied from a 32 amp MCB. Not sure of cable size guessing its 6 mm could be wrong may be bigger . This runs into the kitchen loft then into a JB. From this 1 FCU is connected to JB in 2.5 mm for combi boiler. Then another 2.5mm cable to a socket which is actually located in living room and another 2.5mm cable to a socket in the kitchen. Is this acceptable or will this need changing?. Also the socket in the kitchen has had a spur added to it which runs below the worktop to another socket for the fridge is this allowed? i can tell this has been done after as there is no earth sleeving for it.

Sponsored Links
No.

A quick remidy would be to fit a 20amp MCB/Fuse to this circuit. Assuming the floor area served by these sockets is less that 50m/sq.

A 4mm (or bigger) radial circuit can feed as many sockets with in a floor area of 75m/sq via a 32amp MCB/Fuse.

A 2.5mm (or bigger) radial circuit can feed as many sockets with-in a 50m/sq floor area via a 20amp MCB/Fuse.

A ring.......I guess you know?

Lectrician said:
No.

A quick remidy would be to fit a 20amp MCB/Fuse to this circuit. Assuming the floor area served by these sockets is less that 50m/sq.

A 4mm (or bigger) radial circuit can feed as many sockets with in a floor area of 75m/sq via a 32amp MCB/Fuse.

A 2.5mm (or bigger) radial circuit can feed as many sockets with-in a 50m/sq floor area via a 20amp MCB/Fuse.

Is this setup not allowed because the supply has been JB down to 2.5mm cable to the sockets and FCU? so if i just change this down to a 20 amp MCB this would then be ok? even the spur to the socket from a socket which then goes to the JB? . The kitchen is very small 2 metres wide and 3 metres in length, believe it was once a bathroom

Change it to a 20amp MCB, all will be a-ok. Not an ideal set-up, but compliant.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Change it to a 20amp MCB, all will be a-ok. Not an ideal set-up, but compliant.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Just one more thing i have a Tenby CU with Legrand MCB's can i just but any 20 am MCB ( are they compatible between makes? ) or will i have to try and source a a legrand MCB. Am so looking forward to having some kind of earth!. Will feel much safer. Though the cost is not doing my wallet any good. Still feel hard done buy. As Metre tails are good condition and bonding to services are there and the main fuse in the supply from REC is a 100 amp. You would think that an earth connection would have been made in the past wouldn't you?. I'm betting the electrician will go for an earth rod and putting an time delayed RCD before CU. Will know in a week.

you shoud try and get MCB's by the same manufacturer where possible, also most are similar and can be used

No earth connection?

Is it an old house? Perhaps using the water pipe as an earth connection?

ryanj said:
No earth connection?

Is it an old house? Perhaps using the water pipe as an earth connection?

Over the last month or so have made a few enquiries on this forum after discovering there is no earth connection my old CU was covered by an 30 ma RCD for all circuits. The earth may have been from the water pipe ( which is currently bonded from CU with 10mm ) but certainly cannot be no longer as the main water feed is plastic. But would have been lead for certain at one time the house was built in 1920. Still have not been able to establish why this house ended up with no earth but as you suggest, that could have been where it was once from.

The problem with your circuit was pushing 32A down 2.5mm cable. The theory on spurs is based on the idea that with only one socket on the end, this will limit how much current can be drawn. Start spurring more on the end and you could end up with the whole 32A going down the cable.

No earth to service head at all? What CU do you have currently, 30mA main RCD still??

Most sparks would prefer to PME it if TN-S isn't available.....TT (rod) is usually a last resort (some older sparks still love TT - why??)

Legrand breakers are available, try a decent wholesaler (or 2).....NOT a DIY store :!:

Good luck

Legrand and Tenby make EXACTLY the same board and breakers - the only difference is the badge so you can interchange them safely.

Same as GE and Steeple and the old WF range and some siemens units all made by GE...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back