Calling Rf Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or anyone really. :)

Anyone have any current info/gas regs, regarding bonding commercial boilers and pipework.

The gas engineers have said, the boiler pipework is NOT supplementary bonded beneath the gas boilers at various sites.

The only electrical regs I can find is that heating systems should be bonded to the MET, which I assume is only if it is an extraneous-conductive part.
411.3.1.2 (v).

The gas and water bonded (at source) 411.3.1.2 (i) and (ii).

Still awaiting for the surveyors reply, but would like to gen up ready for there reply.

Sponsored Links
They are in boiler rooms some ground floor, some 1st floor, various shops throughout england.
Each have a gas pipe, flow and return apparently.

There is no electrical regulation which requires it.

Heating pipes are not likely to be extraneous conductive parts either, as generally they are there to heat the inside of the building, so wouldn't normally go outside.

Fixing wires between the pipes will do nothing, since they all go to the boiler which of course is a huge hunk of metal connecting all the pipes together. The flow and return pipes will also be connected together elsewhere in the building, probably at multiple points.

Unless they are referring to when the boiler is removed and the gas pipe is electrically separated from the water ones? but aren't gas people supposed to put a temporary bond across open pipes in that situation, same as when cutting out a section of existing gas pipework?

Sponsored Links
Thanks flameport, that is how I read it, I have seen them things like Jump Leads for sale what they are meant to use.

we have asked them to clarify what they require but they seem to be a bit hesitant to reply.

Seems to be a bit like the old kitchen bonding scenario from the 15th regs.

Modern boilers ensure electrical continuity between pipework at their manifold and have done for some time.

Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I'm a very busy person :LOL:

My coleagues have done a stirling job as always though, and I think they have covered all the bases. :D

As long as the boilers are not sited in a special location i.e. bathroom /Shower room etc, then supplementary bonding is not required.
Having said that I have a feeling that there may be a Corgi / Gas safe reg requiring it. If so tell them to do it !

I do a lot of boilers (mostly domestic) and the spec always says do it.
To be honest its something I always do anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back