cambelt change for civic cdti price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - how much to change a cambelt on a 2003 civic 1.7 cdti...honda quoted me £270....!...can anyone do it better for me around birmingham area ?...ta

Sponsored Links
cheers found a local garage £60 to fit a new timing belt..approx 2 hrs job..will have it fitted next week sometime when i have a day of work..as to the price of the belt, i rang one honda dealer near me qouted me £38 for a timing belt...rang another who is a few more miles away, they quoted me £66 for the the timing belt...why such a difference in price ?...this is just for the belt only..

Goofy, I do not know that engine, but be careful. Some manufacturers use the water pump etc to tension the cambelt and also recommend changing it at the same time as changing the cam belt, as the bearings in it could fail, giving the same outcome as a snapped belt :( . Other manufacturers may recommend replacing the idler / tensioner pulley etc.

Just check you are comparing apples with apples, as to only change the belt will be a lot cheaper than also replacing the necessary ancillary parts, and will affect the guarantee given.

Burnerman (John) gives excellent advice on vehicles, so hopefully he can be more specific about your Civic engine.

Sponsored Links
if you intend keeping the car as said buy a complete kit. Id do the water pump as well if its driven by the belt as a newly tensioned belt can sometimes cause the pump to start leaking if its worn.

For some reason my Autodata book doesn't list this particular engine - or any other Honda diesels :confused:
The kit shown there by Mursal is a top quality Gates one and seems to come with an eccentric tensioner, idler and clamping bolt. Its good value, and for £60 for fitting it can't be too complex!
The only issue I have with Honda motors - and some others - is that the crank pulley bolts are fiercely tight. I'd look very carefully at the water pump - if its not completely smooth to rotate or any signs of coolant crusts its got to go.
John :)

thought id do the tensioner as well, got it for £48 from honda, £38 for cam belt....

Sponsored Links
Back