Can a pcb be reconditioned properly?

DIYsaster said:
another thing to consider is that even though problems like dry joints CAN be repaired, the rest of the board is still X years old and whats to say another component won't fail on it in a couple of months. i work for a BIG gas company and we do not use recon parts for that reason.

Component failures generally occur in the early days, after this component failure, except power handling components, is rare. How often do you change your television PCB?

Mostly recon parts are not used because new ones are not much dearer, and it's easier to get it replaced if it fails early.

my advice would be; be SURE it IS the board first, go for a complete new one-i know it'll hurt your wallet, but at least you will know it'll last.

It may fail fairly soon, though you would get a warranty repair for this, except joint failure is a longer term problem, so it may be out of warranty before it appears.

Sponsored Links
Television pcb's suffer tremendously from overheating and dry joints because the ht environment of the crt attracts dust this sticks to the pcb with grime and overheats the short legged resistors etc. Dry joints abound. The reason you had to bang your tv to get it going was because through the heat of the local area the solder melted at a dry joint but without any new flux it didn't make a perfect joint, banging the set would get it to make contact temporarily until the next time you need to bang it.

TV pcb's are a very bad example.

Some boiler pcb's live in similar circumstances and like cheap tv's are not designed to cope with their normal environment.

However the pcb's for the boiler of conscern are a good design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back