CH and DHW working intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help, i don't know what to do next!

It all started 2 months ago when the ch and dhw started working intermittently on my alpha 240x boiler, sometimes come on everytime of asking, sometimes not work for a few days.

Plumber came and said it was most probably ignition pcb, replaced ignition pcb, no different! Removed it and put old one back in.
Plumber diagnosed main pcb, this time i did not want to pay full price so sent my main and the ignition board to be reconditioned by a company i saw on this forum (cet). They said they could not get the boards to fail but resoldered some dodgy areas on the board. Got the boards back, fitted, still no joy.

Plumber and alpha tech team then decide that its the temp sensor because it was giving a reading of -6. Replaced this still no joy!

Then as the plumber was fastening the panel back onto the bottom unit, where the pcbs are, the boiler kicks in and works. Was this a coincidence?
Could it be a poor connection?

Next time boiler didn't work i left the power on and fiddled with the wires eventually getting it to kick in again. But i can't get it to always work?!

Any suggestions most welcome, because the plumber does not think that boards can be reconditioned and wants to try a new main pcb board next! Something i would rather avoid! Thankyou for any help!

Sponsored Links
If you feel confident , isolate boiler from mains supply and remake all connections, push all plug connections ensuring all are made, power up boiler and keep your fingers crossed :LOL: ;)

Thanks for reply, but I tried that yesterday and tonight, no joy though!
Could the wire be broken inside?

When boiler not working is it dead or just not igniting. Does fan proved light go off? I've had simmialr random fault which was cured by cleaning fan venturi.

Then again I may be totally off track on this one without seeing it.

Sponsored Links
Could the wire be broken inside?

It is possible though unlikely, unless the lead has been damaged somehow.
does sound to be a loose connection if you wiggle the lead and it comes on. Try replacing lead.

Dave got some picci's today of that owd vaillant will post later ;)

Thanks fellas, just been down and played with connections again. My misses thinks im seeing another woman in the garage!
Got it working, pushed all connections in on main pcb and got it going, but tried earlier n that didnt work. Fingers crossed its just a bad connection then, just need to find where now.

As for the fan question, it runs at low speed all the time, it just does not always go to full speed when there is demand. N therfore does not ignite. Il let you know how i get on. I think it must be a connection n sounds like you do too. If no better soon will look at fan. I suppose leads are easy and cheap to replace once i find which one is causing all the problems!?thanks alot, best go, got to wash when i can these days!

pleasehelp said:
Just out of interest do you know anything about reconditioned boards?
Cheers

before you even think of one of them check your house insurance, some have an exclusion on em

I think I should be reconditioned and I'm also often bored :LOL:

Do you know much about me corgi :?: :rolleyes:

gas4you said:

again eh??

:)

how many have you sampled the night matey

corgiman said:
gas4you said:

again eh??

how many have you sampled the night matey

Cant remember where this came from corgi :confused: :oops: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back