Can a shower be added to my consumer unit?

Do you mean in terms of 'running' (fuel usage) costs, or are you taking into account the cost of buying an electric shower vs. buying a combi boiler?

If (as I suspect) you mean the former, what makes you think that?

Kind Regards, John

Because he is wrong. (If it was me he would say I was lying, but I am going to say he is mistaken as I'm not a bully).

Fact of the matter electricity costs 4 times as much as gas.

Sponsored Links
How bloody wrong can you be time after time?

I work in controls so I rather think I have a lot of experience in this field.

Which do you thing is wrong?

1. Like all electrical heaters electric showers are 100% efficient.

2. But all electrical heating is very expensive.

Fact of the matter electricity costs 4 times as much as gas.
Indeed. However, not all of us are blessed with a supply of natural gas. My LPG is around half (not a quarter) of the price of 'standard rate' electricity, and not a lot less than I'm paying for off-peak E7 electricity.

It is most unlikely that anyone would contemplate buying and maintaining a combi boiler just to run a shower. In practice, they would almost always have (and maintain) it for CH, so the marginal cost of using it for showers would be zero - so the only real difference would be in running costs, which would be much lower for a gas-fuelled combi. Both an electric shower and combi only heat cold water 'as required' and the slight losses within the combi and pipework (which, in any event, in winter would heat the house) would be insignificant in comparison with the large difference in fuel prices.

Nor do I have a combi, I would not even consider one, but we so have an open vented gas boiler system. I had a combi back in the early 80's, never again. I have never liked the idea of the boiler constantly firing up, every time there is an HW demand, plus the delay and wasted water and gas, while the water becomes hot enough.

If I had a gas combi (which I don't), I would still have an electric shower for that very reason, but would virtually never use it (only if the combi 'failed').

As said its quick, very convenient and I'm usually in and out within 3 minutes, much quicker than I could manage with a combi. That works out at around 3p in electric alone, ignoring water, wear and tear etc.

I know its comparing apples with pears, but I half remember calculating the cost of a bath in gas and water alone, as around 40p some while ago.

Sponsored Links
Nor do I have a combi, I would not even consider one, but we so have an open vented gas boiler system.
Same here, but that does not in any way preclude having a 'just in case' (the boiler fails) immersion in the DHW cylinder (which one virtually never uses).
As said its quick, very convenient and I'm usually in and out within 3 minutes, much quicker than I could manage with a combi.
Why?

Kind Regards, John

I can't imagine electric heaters being 100% efficient.

Electric space heaters are. Where do you think the energy goes if not into the room?

Electric showers not quite, as some energy heats up the casing and the pipes which then escapes into the room rather than heating the water.

With electricity ALL the electrical energy is turned into heat. There is no chimney to take away the generated heat so 100% efficiency.

With say gas, oil, wood burner etc a lot of the heat escapes out of the flue reducing the efficiency.

He's being pedantic (again). Any sort of electrical heating is to-all-intents-and purposes "100% efficient", since all of the electricals energy gets turned into heat. Very much the same is true of gas heating (although the pedants amongst us will undoubtedly point out that the flame causes a tiny amount of electricity to be turned into light, and perhaps an even smaller amount into 'sound').

The important difference is 'effective efficiency', in terms of heat delivered to 'where it is wanted'. With an electric shower, virtually all the heat generated from the electricity will go into the water (i.e. 'where needed'). When the conversion from fuel to heat is more distant (e.g. in a combi boiler), some heat will be 'lost' (to the water) within the boiler and from pipework (but even that 'lost heat' might do useful space heating) - but that would be true if it were a hypothetical 'electricity-powered combi' just as much as when it is gas-powered.

Kind Regards, John

Why can you be 'in and out' of an electric shower much quicker than you could be 'in and out' of one whose water was heated by a combi?

I turn the shower on, then just seconds later it is running hot water. A combi takes a while for the water to warm up in the boiler, then make its way through the pipework. When you finish your shower their is a lot of wasted hot water in the boiler and in the pipework.

Looking as subsequent replies it appears 1 is not wrong.

So that leaves 2. So it appears that bully SUNRAY does not agree that electrical heating is very expensive. Interesting. He must be very wealthy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back