Can a soffit be made bigger

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I guess I panicked. The first picture I took is the current state of the roof. Now that rafters there now, I dont know if it's a placeholder or that's the intended span, but what I did today was to go up there and screw a small timber to illustrate what I want, which is also what's on the plan, when I scaled it on pdf, I get just over 300mm which is in line as it will extend by another 100mm by the time you add gutter, this is assuming that the roof will extend 50mm into the gutter.

In the picture below, the first rafter it extends out by 160mm, the second one with the white timber is what I did today, that 290mm and it uses the full 3m span of the 6 by 2 timber intended for rafters.

20200126_132821.jpg

No, ceiling joists dont form the fixing point on pitched roofs -ceiling joists usually finish at wall plate.

The rafters need to be fixed to the joists -that is structural.

The rafter ends extend beyond the ceiling joists and a plumb cut creates fixing for fascia. Soffit can be fixed to seat cut on underside of rafter, or fixes into groove on fascia and batten on wall for back.

In that first picture youve taken -is that the latest state of the roof?

I ask because the only rafter looks like a temporary one to hold the ridge. It may not be permanent....just a set out

The ceiling joists are irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
That's weird to have the plate on top of the joists. Is that the design, or is the builder making it up?

Just looked at the regs document, I dont see no plate ontop of the joists, but is this a bad thing ?
Well it's wrong if it's not as the designer specified, whether that's bad or not depends on the specification.

Looking at the timber the joists are sitting on, they seem like timbers on edge, and if that's the case it's bad as there should be a timber flat.

In any case if that's not how it was before, or not as it is in any building it's attached to, then something's wrong - either the ceiling is a different height or the roof is, and if it's higher than the planning approval then watch out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply woody.

PLease can you expand on the comment.

Looking at the timber the joists are sitting on, they seem like timbers on edge, and if that's the case it's bad as there should be a timber flat.

If you can show me on the picture I would appreciate it. As in place comments on the picture I posted to explain.

Well it's wrong if it's not as the designer specified, whether that's bad or not depends on the specification.

In any case if that's not how it was before, or not as it is in any building it's attached to, then something's wrong - either the ceiling is a different height or the roof is, and if it's higher than the planning approval then watch out.

This is fantastic. This is what I would also expect and your sketch makes a lot of sense . I will ensure this is corrected. Look at the picture below, it's one I took of a similar house the builder worked on.
20200127_113918.jpg

Here you can see the rafter sits on the plate as you described.

Thanks everyone.

I spoke to building control ans the chap was kind enough to do us a sketch.

He said either way is good. Use a plate and cut rafter to key onto the pole plate or birddsmouth on the wall plate and probably bolt together.

image001.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back