Soffit board alignment issue. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Can some knowledge person advise if the builder has messed up the soffit board alignment on my new house? This issue is with the back room of the house (see photo). The builder house finishing foreman said it is normal but I don’t tend to agree. The issue is the angle of the 2 soffit boards. You can see soffit board on the right is are not fitted horizontal (0 degrees) thus is not forming a nice joint with the soffit board to the left of photo.

Thanks in advance.

14shz15.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would expect the 2 boards to be fitted like in this example photo, and forming a nice close joint.

The house is a timber house with cement block outer wall if that matters at all.

2v93sci.jpg

I don’t tend to agree with the foreman either, does he go around with a white stick and a dog?

I have no experience with house finishing foremen tbh. Appreciate if you could offer some advice on my inquiry. That’s my main objective.

Sponsored Links
That's quite normal from what I can see by today's standards. If the chimney was upside down these days they would probably just say oh that's quite normal!

I’ve very little experience with building standard tbh. This is my first house. My snagger just added it to the snag list stating that the gap needs to be sealed. Am I right in saying it is bad workmanship and that the soffit board coming in at an angle is fitted wrong? I’m not keen on a big lump of mastic sealing up the gap.
Would be good to hear from someone who has experience with this subject.
Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah it’s obviously not the end of the world, but I’d say it needs re jigging to avoid the gap. Those hollow soffit boards should interlock then any gap covered by a bit of trim.

Yeah it’s obviously not the end of the world, but I’d say it needs re jigging to avoid the gap. Those hollow soffit boards should interlock then any gap covered by a bit of trim.

Thanks 23cv. I go back to the site on Thursday to recheck the house and snags to see if all is fixed. If the builder house finishing team have just sealed the gap with mastic and not rejigged the badly soffit board, do you think I have a good argument to not accept the workaround fix, and ask them to rejig / align the soffit board correctly? I just want to know what I’m talking about.. otherwise they’ll try and make me look stupid!

Can you see any technical reason why the soffit on the right side of my house photo is fitted at an angle? I will be rechecking the house on Thursdays to recheck the house and snags. The builder may have just sealed the gap and not rejigged the soffit board (lease one on right side), so it makes a proper joint.

Batten that it’s attached to set at wrong height maybe? No idea really, depends how they’ve carcassed it out, all I know is it looks rubbish, I wouldn’t be happy with it.

Batten that it’s attached to set at wrong height maybe? No idea really, depends how they’ve carcassed it out, all I know is it looks rubbish, I wouldn’t be happy with it.

Ok. Cheers for your input.

Ok. If I had some technical knowledge in his area it’d be no problem for me to outline the issue. Anyway, I’ll stand my ground and see what they say. Thanks!

There is no technical reason why those soffits could not have been installed so they met evenly, it is just terribly poor workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back